Ride Ohio

Ride Ohio (http://rideohio.org/index.php)
-   Gear (http://rideohio.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Helmets... (http://rideohio.org/showthread.php?t=18728)

netfan 04-18-2013 01:22 PM

Helmets...

Has anyone purchased helmets lately? I am due for a new one - currently wearing a basic solid full face one piece HJC - and would like to find one that is more quiet and comfortable, without spending 300 bucks, if that is indeed possible... haven't looked for awhile so I thought I'd start here.

Thanks!

wahoo 04-18-2013 01:31 PM

I bought an HJC AC-11 on close out last year for $49 (regularly $249). Liked it so much, I bought another one in a different color pattern, also for $49 on close out.

J&J Sales (Powersports 360) on Sprowl Road in Huron has AC-11's in size Large and XL, but only in the "Livewire" pattern for $49. They also have locations in Port Clinton and Mansfield, but the helmets may only be in Huron.

http://www.powersports360.com/eshopp..._Helmet_XL.htm

sirepair 04-18-2013 02:11 PM

LOTS of helmets available out there, getting one that fits well is the priority. If the HJC fit you well, you may want to look at another.

Also, check WEBBIKEWORLDs Helmet Reviews. They discuss shape/weight/noise/etc.

I made the "mistake" of putting a new Shoei Neotech on my head...I'm jonesin' for a new $600 helmet now!:pat

netfan 04-18-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirepair (Post 255829)
I made the "mistake" of putting a new Shoei Neotech on my head...I'm jonesin' for a new $600 helmet now!:pat

I'm with you... I'm afraid to try a really good one. I think part of my neck issues are due to the weight of the helmet, so I'm hoping a more light weight version will be a positive change. Worth the money if that is the case.

TimmyG 04-18-2013 02:59 PM

Re: Helmets...

I suggest going to iron pony and trying some on. They have the most brands under one roof I have ever seen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

wahoo 04-18-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyG (Post 255835)
I suggest going to iron pony and trying some on. They have the most brands under one roof I have ever seen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

+ 1 [ok]

Memnoch 04-18-2013 04:50 PM

Been using my Scorpion Eco-900 Transformer (3/4 and full face in one) fairly light weight and great ventilation. Although a bit more than you're probably wanting to spend $279 from MotorcycleSuperstore.com
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25

wahoo 04-18-2013 05:01 PM

If you buy anything from Motorcycle superstore, go to the affilliates link on the RO board and click into MC Superstore from there. When you place an order, RO gets a small rebate or commission for the "referral"

Helps the Boss Man pay the bills here. [ok]

(There are also a few other affilliate links besides MC Superstore. All work the same way)

the ferret 04-18-2013 05:01 PM

I really like my HJC -33 3/4 w/ flip shield for riding the ST especially in the summer. It gives you a bunch of options ... windshield up faceshield up, windshield up faceshield down, windshield down faceshield down, you just have to tune out the safety nazis who want everyone to wear a solid full face ( even modulars are apparently dangerous but I have one of those too..I also have an open face no shield :smt118 ... Hey they all have to be better than a doo rag :smt047)

The Bell 9 is a similar helmet

Ohiodeere 04-18-2013 05:08 PM

When I look for a helmet, I break it down to essentials needed.
for a full face - has to have good adjustable venting. Needs to have a sliding tinted visor, top priority so i don't have to worry about sun glasses. needs to have seprate hinged clear visor if its modular type. needs to have very clear plastic, resistant to scratching. (if it doesn't say that on the box, move on). has to have some pointed aerodynamics on the face.. rounded helmets are heavy in the wind..
that eliminates 90% of the helmets, now lets look at what you got...

I picked up a Gmax 54S last year.. just south of $250. I installed a scala G9 in it and its wonderful. it is as good as my $500 helmets.. [ok]