Thread: Eclipse
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

Nice write-up Boss. I had a great time too.

Warlock and I left from his house near C-bus Saturday morning and had a nice (although a little warm) ride down into Kentucky. Rt 23 to Louisa and then southwest over to Corbin. Sunday we headed southeast over to Big Stone Gap VA, then southwest into TN. Sunday night were stayed in Kodak, TN near Bass Pro Shops.

Monday morning we departed for Deals Gap around 8. We took some nice back roads to avoid Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, and ended up on 321 to Foothills Parkway. As we were turning onto the Parkway, we happened to meet HG and Mrs. HG who were coming in from Gatlinburg headed to the Gap. Couldn't have planned a closer arrival time if we tried.

We headed south on the Foothills Parkway. Even at 9 a.m., every pull-off and overlook was jammed packed with cars, trucks and motor homes. Everyone was having a good time, but it was really crowded. We continued on to 129 and headed south down the Dragon to DG.

The eclipse was awesome. Hard to put it into words better than Tank already did. Definitely one of the coolest things (nature wise) that I've ever done. After the traffic died down Monday afternoon, HG, Mrs. HG, Warlock and I did a nice loop from DG to Robbinsville (with a stop for Mexican food), then over 143 to 28, a stop at Fontana Dam, and back to DG.

Tuesday we ran west on the Cherahola Skyway, south down into North GA, and eventually over to Helen GA for a late lunch at the German Hofbrauhaus. We got a spritz of rain drops for a few miles heading north from Helen, but it only lasted a few minutes and we never really got wet.

Warlock and the HGs took off Wednesday morning after breakfast. I took a ride up and back on the Dragon mid morning. It was practically deserted. Afterwards, I took off for a solo run across the Cherahola Skyway with a stop at Bald River Falls. Coming back, I never was behind a car the entire way from Tellico Plains all the way to DG. I had what could only be described as a perfect run across the Cherahola and up 129. It was zen-like. Really....

Thursday I took a ride down to Highlands and back with a stop in Bryson City. Weather was perfect and roads were great. Light traffic except for Highlands itself, which is ALWAYS crowded.

Although the weather looked good for a multi-day ride home via the BRP, I decided to slab it home on Friday. Family matters to take care of, etc. I did 560 miles and was home before 4 p.m. (Which included a stop at the Iron Pony)

I don't have many photos from this trip other than what I've already posted in the from the Road section. This entire week was very therapeutic for me.

Thanks to all in attendance for a great time. Special thanks to Tank and Skid for great company and a lot of laughs. .

(Please excuse any typos. I'm typing this on my iPad)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....