Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Ride Reports

Notices

Ride Reports Post pictures and stories about the rides or events you have done

Old 06-21-2015
Mid Life Crisis Man

Danimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to all

Too tired every evening and no wifi equals no daily pic updates from the trip as planned.
Met more SV people. Ride yesterday with Andy was great.
Bout wore out like my rear T30
Tore the **** outta these new Bridgestones on this trip
Am taking lots of pics though and will get them up. Close to 3000 miles on the trip this far.
Rode through rain 4 times yesterday. Cold wet or hot and steaming.
Tried to find back route east to west from Franklin area. Awesome unpaved roads but not all passable on SV.
Thought Andy and I had found one but ran into sign saying private road travel at own risk. Road had the word "tunnels" in its name and would have been good I bet.
Waiting for another friend to arrive tonight. One more good ride with Frank tomorrow and then he and I leave Mon. and head home on backroads taking two days
Old 06-24-2015
Mid Life Crisis Man

Danimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to all

Just got home safe. A bit over 3900 miles in 12 days riding. Tons of off road goodness thrown in including riding Parsons Branch rd. to the Dragon.
Will post pics and additional commentary later today
Old 06-24-2015
Mid Life Crisis Man

Here's more pictures!

Before I left I mounted new rubber. Replacing the retired BT-023s is the new T-30 Tire.

Here's a good shot of the rear when I left. It had just under 1200 miles on it

And here's a picture just taken as the tire looks today, two weeks later.

So last pics were from the Snake AKA Rt421 near Shady Valley TN.
The next day had more great weather and I rode east and picked up the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Strange shot...think it was an accident

motoring the BRP.Pics taken one handed so excuse the lack of proper framing lol

for those who my not know or remember, I crashed in a tunnel in TN and broke my leg pretty badly. Now every single time, regardless of entry speed or whatever...I yell out FUUUUUUUCKKKKKK as I enter.
Kind of fun now

"I saw the light at the end of the tunnel"
Old 06-24-2015
Mid Life Crisis Man

Climbing now, ears starting to bother me. Head cold getting worse

Old 06-24-2015
Mid Life Crisis Man

friendly Harley wave. I comply

Stopped for a snack and such

SV running very well

This panorama did NOT stitch well....thought you might find it funny?

This one did. Eating Dinner at Mt Mitchell restaurant. Fresh trout Wonderful view

Told myself I was going to stop and hike and explore some of the smaller pull over spots that seem like nothing at first. This one had a patch that led to these large rocks on an overhang on the BRP. You could see bikes in a turn beneath you

Took this BRP panorama from the top of same rock outcropping

Yours truly at top of BRP

Arrived at the Dragon. Went right away to Mark's resting spot near the overlook and paid my respects. He would have loved this one. Rather than park at Overlook and hiking up, ;eaving my bike alone, I parked it right nearby

So next day I am running up Rt 143 and see a forest road entrance. I follow it.
A loooonng ways.

In the middle of it I eat lunch at an beautiful waterfall. I name it Dan's Falls

it was so peaceful

Love Wayah Rd area
[URL=http://s167.photobucket.com/user/Danimal_album_photos/media/SMT2015/100_0320_zpsitdzxmpv.jpg.
Old 06-24-2015
Mid Life Crisis Man

LOVE this shot

Dusk at the Overlook again

The Dam at night...Awesome!
[URL=http://s167.photobucket.com/user/Danimal_album_photos/media/SMT2015/100_0355_zpsdankvvah.jpg.
Old 06-24-2015
Mid Life Crisis Man

Another stop at another stream. Thinking of taking a small gold pan on next trip down here.

Ahhem...announcing Dan Byers' formal scientific study on various mosses

This big bird sat there and screamed at me the whole time I was there

Typical evening Fontana Fog

Met Andy from SV Rider and we explored a bit. Visited Bridal Veil Falls
[URL=http://s167.photobucket.com/user/Danimal_album_photos/media/SMT2015/100_0387_zpsie6ll1sy.jpg.
Old 06-24-2015
Mid Life Crisis Man

Then Friday evening went to the SV Rally at Fontana and had a great BBQ meal and met some friends. Chatted SVs and basically all in great moods due to location.

Then an old dear friend of mine Frank (some may remember Frank as the one who helped me when I swapped a new motor into my SV long ago) rode down to meet me in Robbinsville and stay at my cabin. We would explore on
Sunday (my birthday) and then ride home Mon-Tues taking backroads all the way again to NE Ohio

This is Frank, with Vera, the woman whom I rent the cabin from. She is 93 and quite perky!

Here is Frank next to his new to him 2000 VFR. Painted Kaw green, with Yamaha livery striping. Awesome!

[URL=http://s167.photobucket.com/user/Danimal_album_photos/media/SMT2015/100_0397_zpsowiejhy4.jpg.
Old 06-24-2015
Mid Life Crisis Man

me

Rode to Maggie Valley, Wheels through Time
LOVE this

Then...we took the plunge and rode Cades Cove...on a weekend....and suffered through the WORST slow trafiic imaginable.
All to get to Parson's Branch Road.
Which we proceded to ride on our ST bikes

water crossings were easy and shallow

The Viffer Off Road edition

Then the sombre part. Came out of Parson's Branch onto the Dragon and stop at an accident where the rider died. They wouldn't let us move until they got the body out of the ravine. He was riding a KTM Supermoto
At the roadstop

[URL=http://s167.photobucket.com/user/Danimal_album_photos/media/SMT2015/100_0412_zpsiaulvkt9.jpg.
Old 06-24-2015
Mid Life Crisis Man

Part of the ride home included the Cherry Cola

With a whole day of twisties left to go, the rear is already gone

Selfie of my New Neotec helmet......never going back

Nights stop in Marion VA

Last day we rode the entire Rt16 north to the Ohio River. 500 Miles of twisties
Lunch

A waterfall in WV on Rt 16

We had plenty of THIS bullshit

My airspeed indicators are also excellent moisture indicators

I think that's it for now! Hope you all enjoyed a few pics