Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Motorcycle Tech

Notices

Motorcycle Tech Here is where you can seek advise when it is all going wrong.

Old 03-14-2014

JawKneeFive is on a distinguished road
Default purely cosmetic

so the ol magna has some lovely little bubbles forming on the tank, and I want to get it painted if its cost effective

what's the general cost of this if I prep the tank myself?
anybody have a good paint tech to refer?

also, some of the plastic pieces with the 'chrome' plating have some scratches from its previous owner that I want to fix. Can the 'chrome' be re-applied, or should I just pick a solid color and paint them myself? I'm not a huge fan of chrome, so I could care less if they get painted black or something
Old 03-14-2014

Ohiodeere is on a distinguished road

Well.. bubbles are typically not a paint issue, but more of a problem with the tank leaking. behind those bubbles you may have a hole in the tank from rust and gas seeping through???
yes, chrome can be reapplied. typical chrome shops will do plastic. this is typically sprayed on then polished. its not cheap.. go the paint yourself method.
Old 03-14-2014
live life full throttle

swish024 is on a distinguished road

Or try this http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...62922401,d.aWc
Old 03-15-2014
Retired and Loving It

reinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gas Tank Restoration

I'm not sure but I think there was or is a product named Kreem that coats the inside of old gas tanks primarily to keep rust particles from getting into carburetors etc. I don't know if it will stop leaks. Patching, soldering or brazing can work if you get all the gasoline & fumes out. I don't know if bondo or epoxy etc. could be trusted in contact with gasoline and the additives that are in it.
Old 04-02-2014
Red Sled Rider

Nighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond repute

I would go the pick-up bed liner way. They sell it in shaker can so you could paint the whole bike in mat black rubber.
NEVER have to wash it. Give it a Mad Max look

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nighthawk; 04-02-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2014

TimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud of

I like the truck bed liner idea!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
13 HD Roadglide custom
Old 04-03-2014
Red Sled Rider

Nighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond repute

As you will find out. Not all the tips you find here will be useful, but will be fun.
I have been working on my truck and using the stuff on the body and front grill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2014
Retired and Loving It

reinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Plasti-dip

Here's another plastic coating in a spray can. Lots of folks use it instead of expensive powder coating. Works a lot like the bed liner in a can but without the abrasive non-slip grit in it. It has more of a satin or matte finish to it.