Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Motorcycle Tech

Notices

Motorcycle Tech Here is where you can seek advise when it is all going wrong.

Old 04-11-2014

JeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant future
Default Got a voltage regulator question

The last 2 days on my way home, the check engine and battery lights have come on on my bike.
The first day, they only stayed on about a minute. During that time, the volt gauge read lower than normal also, about 11.
Today it stayed on longer, but after shutting it off and starting again it would randomly go off and on. Volt gauge still reading lower than normal.

I checked the battery connections and they are good. Battery was new last November.
I started it up and checked DC volts across the battery terminals and only got 11.5 volts.

Bad regulator?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."- Alexis de Tocqueville
Old 04-11-2014
backyard explorer

tdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond repute

possibly, problem is it could also be the stator. both pieces need to be tested. I would also check the wire connectors between the stator and the regulator, and at the regulator.

or, you could trade it in on a new indian!!!

tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2014

JeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant future

I wish.
I've heard a bad stator will stink to high heaven.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."- Alexis de Tocqueville
Old 04-11-2014
backyard explorer

tdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond repute

if your running a stock primary the stator is in oil. a bad stator can make the oil stink. I would also check all grounds, not just the primary battery cable ground. the voltage reg uses ground to regulate the charge.

tim

Old 04-12-2014
Cheeky Bastard

magley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself A VOM and go to work diagnosing... Good luck.

ŠUANE
Old 04-12-2014

Today on the way home it acted totally normal.
I hate when stuff can't decide whether it wants to work or not.
Can a stator act like this, or is it bad once it goes bad?
Next step I guess is to check all the connections real closely.

Old 04-12-2014
FORMER Party Bus Co-Pilot

mojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond repute

That's why they're called electrical gremlins. Also why I studied MET not EET

Old 04-12-2014

TimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud of

I would give the battery cables a really good once over, and remove them from the battery and clean them really well

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
13 HD Roadglide custom
Old 04-13-2014

Boggzie is just really niceBoggzie is just really niceBoggzie is just really niceBoggzie is just really nice

I had a similar issue with an older Harley. Turned out to be two separate issues. Voltage regulator/rectitfier was faulty. Also the vibration caused an internal failure in the battery. The bike would simply eat batteries. Used some foam insulation material to line the battery box and the problems went away.

Last edited by Boggzie; 04-13-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2014

Well, apparently it was the regulator. I had to order the part,(naturally) and it came in yesterday.
Put it on today, easy as all get out. Started it, acts perfectly normal.
Changed all the fluids while I was at it. I must be getting old, just a little work like that and I feel like I got hit by a truck.

Go to see the orthopedic witch doctor tomorrow morning.