Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Motorcycle Tech

Notices

Motorcycle Tech Here is where you can seek advise when it is all going wrong.

Old 03-27-2011
Retired and Loving It

reinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Slow Leak in Rear Tire

Ever since November my rear Metzler tire on my Rocket III Touring has been losing air pressure. In a week's time it will lose about 25 PSI or about 3-1/2 pounds per day. I looked-over the tread area and didn't see any foriegn objects stuck in the tire, so I wonder if it is the Schrader valve or the valve stem, worst case scenario could even be a bad cast aluminum wheel with a porous casting. Anyhow as soon as weather permits I guess I'll just have to take it into the dealer and let his tech figure it out. Hopefully it's not going to be expensive but then again it probably will be.
Old 03-27-2011
and can't be found!

Lost1888 is on a distinguished road

Can you take the tire off and dunk it in some water to find the leak? I would assume it going to come off anyways for repair.? If it's just the valve core maybe you can just tighten it up or replace with a new one. If it's the bead maybe you can have someone reset the bead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My primary complaint is when people ride poorly no matter what the speed. -Tank-
Old 03-27-2011
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

easy way to check the valve stem, take off the rubber cap, get a wad of spit on your finger and smear it on top of the stem, if it blows a big bubble, it's your valve stem. If you've had that tire put on recently, the tech may not have gotten the core tightened all the way.
Old 03-27-2011
caelitus mihi vires

RSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond repute

+1

Definitely check for leak around the core/stem. If no leaks at the valve, get a spray bottle with soapy water and slowly work your way around both sides(bead) spraying the mix,looking for bubbles.

Old 04-04-2011
Retired and Loving It

reinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks

Whenever I get shed of this stubborn cold I will get out to the garage and try the soapy water test. The Metzler is the OEM tire that came on the bike last September. The bike is warranteed but doubtful on the tires. I'll probably let Thiels Wheels check it too and maybe they can either fix or change the tire. I need that piece of mind when it comes to my tires!
Old 04-06-2011

Flounder has disabled reputation

I had a tire changed last fall and we found the valve stem cracked and the base where it entered the rim. Hadn't lost any air out of the tire but I think i had been riding around like that for a while.

Old 04-06-2011
I WANT MORE PIE!

sirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond repute

I've been seeing alot more valve stem failures lately; crappy valve stems??

Personally, I prefer metal stems (the 90 ones best!) over the cheap rubber ones.
Old 04-07-2011
Retired and Loving It

Default Valve Stems

Interestingly my Rocket III Touring came with the 90 degree valve stems. Makes checking the rear tire on a bagger a whole bunch easier. There's supposed to be five straight days of dry weather coming next week starting on Tuesday. I'll see how that holds up and maybe call Thiels Monday to get the bike in sometime next week.
Old 04-08-2011

JeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinie View Post
Interestingly my Rocket III Touring came with the 90 degree valve stems. Makes checking the rear tire on a bagger a whole bunch easier.
Man, I'd like to get some of those. It's a pain in the ass to have to take off one of the hardbags just to check the rear tire pressure.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Last edited by JeepMaker; 04-08-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2011
Retired and Loving It

Default 90 degree valve stems

Jeep, I would think you could ask for them at either one of the two Sherman owned Harley dealerships up your way. I don't live all that far from Toledo myself, a tad less than an hour away. Signature in Perrysburg is about 45 minutes from Fostoria.