Go Back   Ride Ohio > Special Interest > Vintage Bikes

Notices

Vintage Bikes Discussion and pictures of vintage motorcycles.

Old 04-11-2012

Navy Dad is a jewel in the roughNavy Dad is a jewel in the roughNavy Dad is a jewel in the rough
Default Resurrected from a dusty corner.

My son is a Navy Petty Officer based in Florida. He and his wife have a nice home on several acres in the country. Problem is it is around 100 miles from the base and with gas at the $4 level he was looking for a bike to ride. Since it is Florida he can ride almost year round.

He recently sent me this:
Well, here it is. 1979 Suzuki 850. New clutch cable, new sport tourer handlebars, new fairing, new tires, carbs cleaned, oil and filter changed, drive shaft oils changed, Brake calipers and master cylinders rebuilt and new fluid added. The old gal runs like a champ and is giving me 35 to40 mpg. Not bad for a resurrected 79 model huh? Oh yeah, I have around $1000 in it and ride 100 miles one way to work. I only make the trip two or three times a week, but that is still more miles in a month than a lot of folks ride in a year. New may be prettier, but old is working for me and I don't worry about every little nick or bump since base parking lots can be a rough place for a vehicle. I will ride it until it dies and then upgrade to a 1981 model. Just for reference, Jeremy is a 1982 model. His bike is three years older than him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0330121620 (2).jpg (124.4 KB, 119 views)
Old 04-11-2012

gl1200 is on a distinguished road

Nice , that will work for him for a while , should last a long time as long as he takes care of it
Old 04-11-2012

TimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud of

I always have plans to keep bikes forever, but get bored and sell them in 2 or 3 years. Good luck, nice bike for the price and thank you for your service!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
13 HD Roadglide custom
Old 04-11-2012
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

My 81 Suzuki 850G was one of my favorite motorcycles. It should serve him well. 5.8 gallon tank, 4cyl, air cooled, shaft drive, large comfy seat. Great motorcycle.
Old 04-11-2012

monarksky is on a distinguished road

The gas savings will pay for it, the fun is just a bonus!
Old 04-13-2012

Agent3012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Dad View Post
His bike is three years older than him.
There's definitely something zen about riding a bike as old as you. My CB350F has a stamped manufacture date 6 months "younger" than me.
Old 04-14-2012

Navy Dad is a jewel in the roughNavy Dad is a jewel in the roughNavy Dad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent3012 View Post
There's definitely something zen about riding a bike as old as you.
Must be something to that. His four wheeled vehicle is an 87 Thunderbird.