Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Motorcycle Tech

Notices

Motorcycle Tech Here is where you can seek advise when it is all going wrong.

Old 07-31-2012

K Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to behold
Default Battery - is it done?

Well, when I took the bike out last and returned home I left the GPS plugged in. Unfortunately the plug is always hot. Needless to say, by the time I found it, the battery was completely dead. Hooked the charger up to it. It took a charge just fine, but I was wondering how much damage do you think I did to the battery? I have had batteries that I neglected to charge over winter and come spring, they will charge but don't usually have a very long life after that. What's your thoughts? Has anyone done something similar and how did the battery fair?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-31-2012
Retired and Riding

Road Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot that the GPS does NOT shut off like it does in the car. YOu physically have to turn it off!

That HAS happened to me on my 2002 Wing - in Florida in 2008 - 2009 (ask PAPAW) we were just getting reafy to ride for some strawberries and turn the key and.... (nothing) new battery!

It also happened to me TODAY on my 2008 Wing to go ride - but I put in on charge for a few minutes and we were ready to go.

How long this battery will last is anybody's guess.

I took the GPS off - I don't need the stinkin' thing anyway!

Retired and Riding for over 17 years on a small fixed income!

Honda said ride RED so I am...

Old 08-01-2012
caelitus mihi vires

RSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time you will be fine, especially if it was a good battery to begin with. After getting a full charge in it,you could take it and have it load tested to be sure (autozone-will do it for free)

Old 08-01-2012
Banned

spiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond repute

Full charge should be around 13.2 / 13.4 volts. Anything at or under 12.9 volts after full charge is about shot!

Read across the terminals with a multimeter.
Old 08-01-2012
Cheeky Bastard

magley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond repute

depends on a few factors, overall condition of the battery, age of the battery, temperature of battery during depleted state, and duration of depletion...

if it's a newer battery, and manufactured well, you could luck out and it will be fine for a long time... if it's an older battery, got particularly cold during the drained state, or has been abused, it's likely to be pretty well toasted.

ŠUANE
Old 08-01-2012

K Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to behold

The battery is 4 years old and kept on battery tender when sitting over winter. Was in good condition before this.

I took the bike out this evening for a 60 mile ride. Started fine, turned over quickly. Stopped a few times and restarted the bike. The battery seemed okay. I guess I'll continue to use it at least for the remainder of this season.

Just didn't want to get out somewhere only to find out the bike wasn't going to start.

Old 08-02-2012

netfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nice

I'm betting you're fine... did the same thing 8000 miles ago, came home from the trip and left the GPS plugged into the cig lighter charger I wired to my handlebars. Even though the GPS was off, it drew the battery down overnight. Hooked it up to the tender and left it all day, it was green when I came home. Haven't skipped a beat since then.

Except when my phone charger came apart inside the gig lighter... shorted out the thing (thank God someone told me to fuse it near the battery). Replaced the fuse and all was well.
Old 08-02-2012
Banned

spiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond repute

Im betting you should get yourself a muti meter and test the battery like I said. Otherwise your just guessing. Its not that hard take a reading across the terminals with bike cables disconnected. Easy no guess work be done with it.
Old 08-02-2012
backyard explorer

tdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond reputetdog has a reputation beyond repute

if your still worried about your battery have it load tested. if it tests within 10 to 20 percent of its original rating its ok. a voltage test really does not tell you the whole story.

tim

Old 08-02-2012
Cheeky Bastard

magley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond reputemagley64 has a reputation beyond repute

load test if you're still concerned, sounds like it's working fine though...

ŠUANE