Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Riding Well

Notices

Riding Well Discussion about riding technique. Tips on riding far, riding fast, and staying safe the while doing it.

Old 11-05-2012
Retired and Loving It

reinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tire Inflation

I know this doesn't seem to be a big deal but as we ride less and our bikes sit more of the time late in the year we might forget to check our tire pressures. The colder weather can reduce the air volume in them, lowering the pressure. Just sitting around the tires gradually lose air over time as well. Just take a few minutes and check them before that next ride just to be safe.
Old 11-05-2012
Warning shots waste ammo!

Redtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reminder. Many seem to forget this.
It's 5:00 somewhere!
Old 11-05-2012

K Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to behold

It's definitely a good reminder. I usually check my tires before every ride, unless I was out the day before. Sometimes I will let it slide then. Checking tires was a real pain without a compressor and now many gas stations charge for air. So last year I purchased a compressor, makes it a lot easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by K Rider; 11-05-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2012
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

Air pressure is one of the most overlooked things on a motorcycle and it causes a lot of accidents. Most bikes are overloaded when travelling and when you mix that with under inflated tires you are just asking for trouble.

Old 11-08-2012
Retired and Loving It

reinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond repute
Default As a matter of fact....

I checked my tires on my new Victory yesterday. After finding the correct pressures in the owners manual I went out to the garage and checked my tire pressures. The front was at 30 PSI and the manual calls for 38 PSI so I got my compressor out and added till 38 was reached. The rear was at 33 PSI with the manual calling for 40 PSI so I brought it up to spec pressure. The colder weather, especially with ovenight temps in the upper 20s and low 30s has lowered the air volume in them reducing the pressure. It's a good idea to check and make sure just to be safe.

Last edited by reinie; 11-08-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-08-2012
Bald, Fat & Slow.

Pauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond repute

What pressures do some of you moped riders use? I typically run 34/36, front/rear...but my MTS just seems to punish rear tires. I have a set of Pilot Road2CTs on now, and the rear is toast after ~3500 miles.
Old 11-08-2012

Wingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinie View Post
I know this doesn't seem to be a big deal but as we ride less and our bikes sit more of the time late in the year we might forget to check our tire pressures. The colder weather can reduce the air volume in them, lowering the pressure. Just sitting around the tires gradually lose air over time as well. Just take a few minutes and check them before that next ride just to be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Air pressure is one of the most overlooked things on a motorcycle and it causes a lot of accidents. Most bikes are overloaded when travelling and when you mix that with under inflated tires you are just asking for trouble.
Good pointers, neglected and usually overlooked. BTW, do your checks with cold tires, especially in warm/hot air temps. There is a difference. It's amazing (to me) the low load/weight limits on MC street tires.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=white]..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=white]
[/COLOR]
Old 11-08-2012
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
What pressures do some of you moped riders use? I typically run 34/36, front/rear...but my MTS just seems to punish rear tires. I have a set of Pilot Road2CTs on now, and the rear is toast after ~3500 miles.
When travelling I run 36/42. Helps make them last a bit longer.

I suspect twins are harder on rear tires than fours.

Old 11-09-2012

Wingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond reputeWingjammer has a reputation beyond repute

Defctive Motorcycle Tire Lawsuit is Settled, Says Attorney Billy Edwards

A settlement has been reached in a lawsuit in which a Texas couple claimed a defective Goodyear Dunlop D250 Radial tire caused them to crash and sustain serious injuries, said attorney Billy Edwards. He said terms of the settlement were confidential.

Motorcycle Attorney Billy Edwards
"Our experience shows that motorcycle dealers consistently fail to discuss maximum weight limits with buyers."

Austin, TX (PRWEB) August 20, 2012
A settlement has been reached in a lawsuit in which a Texas couple claimed a defective Goodyear Dunlop D250 Radial tire caused them to crash and sustain serious injuries, said their attorney, Billy Edwards, of the Edwards Law Firm. He said terms of the settlement were confidential.
Martin Stricker, of Brownwood, TX, was driving his 2003 Honda GL 1800A Gold Wing with this wife, Loretta, on the back, along US 67 south of Abilene, Texas on Aug. 8, 2008, when a rear tire “suddenly and without warning” deflated, according to the lawsuit. The motorcycle went sideways, flipped and ejected both passengers, causing them to crash, the suit said. A defect in the tire that deflated was to blame for the sudden deflation, the suit alleged.
Edwards said the suit was prepared to argue that the Stricker’s combined weight was not a factor in the tire failure.
“Our experience in defective tire cases is that tire manufacturers like to claim the operators were at fault for overloading their bikes. But our experience also shows that motorcycle dealers consistently fail to discuss maximum weight limits with buyers, even if it is obvious that the buyers, by their weight alone, may overload the bike,” Edwards said.
Edwards has repeatedly called on Harley Davidson and Good Year Dunlop to investigate reports of “sudden and catastrophic” deflations of motorcycle tires on large touring motorcycles. The website http://www.unsafemotorcycles.com, lists 23 reports of sudden tire deflations involving touring bikes, the latest in March, 2012.
The Stricker lawsuit was filed in October 2009, in District Court in Travis County, TX, cause number D-1-GN-09-003303.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=white]..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=white]
[/COLOR]
Old 11-09-2012

Ken45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to behold

I need to find me one of those "90# soaking wet sweet young things" to ride with me

Ken