Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Gear

Notices

Gear Talk about helmets, tires, clothing, camping equipment, GPS - all that extra stuff we need!

Old 04-19-2013

Ken45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to behold

I have to echo that good fit is critical. We all have different shaped heads.

My wife went from one that was too tight and gave her headaches to a FF helmet that fit comfortably......and it came off in our crash last year.
Old 04-19-2013

Saddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
Yes. I am a former HJC guy and I stepped up to a Shoei. The difference in weight, noise, comfort and stability is dramatic. Many of the premium helmets really do deliver.

However buffeting is usually caused by air coming up your chest and into the underside of you helmet. But not always. You can test this. Put your left arm across your chest to block that air path. If you feel a lot of air on your arm and the buffeting stops them it's air flow issues. Probably hitting the tank and rolling up your chest.
Yes Tonik, it is air coming up and around the fairing and the tank. I have already added the air baffle that goes between the forks, not much difference at all. So I then added the air baffle thing that attached to the fairing. It helped better. I was reading and some say a helment can make a difference also. Its like the wind gets caught up and under the 3/4 shield and blows my head around. Now this is a new ride for me and seems that every chance I have had to ride it has been very, very, very windy out. I am just not sure what to try next..
Old 04-20-2013
Retired and Loving It

reinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond reputereinie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lowers

I thought maybe you had the soft lowers on your crashbars which would block any cold air to your legs. In the summer when it gets hot you can remove them to get more air to your legs and engine. There's another kind of lowers that goes on each fork leg, usually triangular pieces of plexiglass that clamps to the forks and sticks out on each side. They help block air coming up under the fairing or windshield. There's other gadgets like Baker Air Wings and different kinds of deflectors etc. to help eliminate buffeting too. A different windshield, maybe a bit taller with a flip (flared top) can also reduce buffetiing.
Old 04-20-2013

Tonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond reputeTonik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helmets...

The fork detectors are what solved it for me. My bike had this problem real bad.

Last edited by Tonik; 04-20-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2013

JeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by netfan View Post
Just wondering.. I know I didn't go with the Beemer, but, do they make whale foreskin helmets??
They had to stop making them. If you rubbed them, they got too big to fit yor head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."- Alexis de Tocqueville
Old 04-20-2013
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who refuse to ride with the shield on their full face helmets open even a little bit for safety sake. Personally I need to feel air on my face. The shield on my ff is always cracked open a bit or open a lot if the bike has a windshield. Same on my 3/4. If Im on the ST with the windshield, chances are any shield Im wearing is wide open. Love that air.
Old 04-22-2013

netfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nice

Thanks for all your suggestions... kind of...

I went to Iron Pony yesterday on my way home from Parkersburg with the new ride, and before a drive by at the RTE..

Found a young man to assist and made him show me several helmets while telling me everything about them EXCEPT the price. He liked the game and led me through many different brands and price ranges. At the end of the time, I told him my two favorites... THEN he dropped the price bomb on me.

I was so taken aback I told him thanks and left the store, checked in at the RTE and then headed home. This morning I visited a local shop and purchased an ARAI helmet. Very light, great fit, quiet, etc... I don't plan on ever buying another helmet. On this summer's trip I'll probably leave my credit cards and cash on my bike seat and take my helmet with me inside to eat, as it is the most valuable thing I own now.
Old 04-22-2013

TimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud of
Default Re: Helmets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by netfan View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions... kind of...

I went to Iron Pony yesterday on my way home from Parkersburg with the new ride, and before a drive by at the RTE..

Found a young man to assist and made him show me several helmets while telling me everything about them EXCEPT the price. He liked the game and led me through many different brands and price ranges. At the end of the time, I told him my two favorites... THEN he dropped the price bomb on me.

I was so taken aback I told him thanks and left the store, checked in at the RTE and then headed home. This morning I visited a local shop and purchased an ARAI helmet. Very light, great fit, quiet, etc... I don't plan on ever buying another helmet. On this summer's trip I'll probably leave my credit cards and cash on my bike seat and take my helmet with me inside to eat, as it is the most valuable thing I own now.
to bad you should replace it every 5 years!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
13 HD Roadglide custom
Old 04-22-2013

netfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

yeah... by then I'll have forgotten what I paid
Old 04-22-2013

Ken45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
Every time I read that, I wonder if it is fact based on safety, or based on manufacturer's economics.