Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Gear

Notices

Gear Talk about helmets, tires, clothing, camping equipment, GPS - all that extra stuff we need!

Old 09-07-2013
Bald, Fat & Slow.

Pauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
There is something about having your tent strapped to the bike that makes travelling feel more adventurous. I guess it is the idea that you can stop anywhere for the night.

All the same, I have not done much camping the last few years. It is fun when the weather is good and you have extra time, but it is no fun at all when the weather is bad and you are riding from sunup to sundown.
I'll probably shoot down on a Friday, set camp, ride all day Saturday and Sunday and then leave Monday morning. No schedule. No plans. Just me, my bike and a serious amount of law-breaking.
Old 09-08-2013

Ken45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to behold

Firewood is a problem. Any campground is going to be picked over of dead wood. Green wood will not burn and will get you in trouble in most places if you cut a live tree.

For what you are doing, you could always eat at a restaurant. But for simple, summer sausage and cheese will work. Or the boxed macaroni and cheese if you have a stove. Pop tarts or bagels for breakfast.

Air mattresses usually leak and leave you flat on the ground. I prefer the roll up closed cell foam pads. A good sleeping bag is great. Down is great as long as it doesn't get wet from rain or condensation. Wet down is useless.

I've never mc camped but I have backpacked and canoe camped, even horse camped...when I was younger. Now that I'm older.....well, I'm typing this sitting in a 35' 5th wheel camper watching the fog drift down the creek

Ken
Old 09-08-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what I use:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Queen-Airbed/23374672

Fills half a saddlebag and weighs 20 pounds, but boy do I sleep good. Just as comfy as at home.

Nothing sets you up for a good day of riding like a good nights sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-08-2013
Retired and Riding

Road Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond repute

Here I am agreeing with everything everyone has said - I think Ken covers it about a roll up pad for under a sleeping bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken45 View Post

....Air mattresses usually leak and leave you flat on the ground. I prefer the roll up closed cell foam pads. A good sleeping bag is great. Down is great as long as it doesn't get wet from rain or condensation. Wet down is useless.

Ken
More - I have motorcycle camped but that was over 25 years ago. I still remember this: One thing you don't want to do is leave food in a bag or something outside, where animals like dogs and raccoons can get into it or, in that area where you plan to go - BEARS (yes Bears) and you better have your shootin' arn and some 9mm ammo with you in your tent. A 357 would make me more comfortable beside me while camping in a tent ...

Additionally in bear country, do not cook near your camp,
do not cook smelly foods or sleep in clothes with food odors, or bring any food or lotions into your tent. Bears have been known to slash right through a tent to get to the food they smell!

I lived in Alaska from 1958 to 1961 and spent plenty of time in the wild. Today I am like Ken - I like my 38 foot 5th wheel camper just to stay safe and away from wild boar in Florida!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired and Riding for over 17 years on a small fixed income!

Honda said ride RED so I am...

Old 09-08-2013
Bald, Fat & Slow.

Pauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond reputePauly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken45 View Post
Firewood is a problem. Any campground is going to be picked over of dead wood. Green wood will not burn and will get you in trouble in most places if you cut a live tree.

For what you are doing, you could always eat at a restaurant. But for simple, summer sausage and cheese will work. Or the boxed macaroni and cheese if you have a stove. Pop tarts or bagels for breakfast.

Air mattresses usually leak and leave you flat on the ground. I prefer the roll up closed cell foam pads. A good sleeping bag is great. Down is great as long as it doesn't get wet from rain or condensation. Wet down is useless.

I've never mc camped but I have backpacked and canoe camped, even horse camped...when I was younger. Now that I'm older.....well, I'm typing this sitting in a 35' 5th wheel camper watching the fog drift down the creek

Ken
Hmm... maybe for my first trip I will stick with IronHorse and pretend I'm actually roughing it. I'd hate to bite off more than I can chew and ruin a potentially awesome weekend. I can get my practice with the tent and they have firewood right there if I do need to buy some. I just hate that idea, but I get what you're saying about the woods being picked clean of burnables. Thanks for pointing that out.

I plan on doing more trips like this and even bringing Isaac along. I just want to make sure I know wtf I'm doing first. No sense dragging him away from his Xbox if I don't know he's going to have a good time. Can you imagine the horror? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Here is what I use:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Queen-Airbed/23374672

Fills half a saddlebag and weighs 20 pounds, but boy do I sleep good. Just as comfy as at home.

Nothing sets you up for a good day of riding like a good nights sleep.
I don't know if I'm willing to sacrifice half a pannier for a mattress. I'll have to look at my options. I can sleep on the ground. So, an inflatable mat might be luxurious to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
Here I am agreeing with everything everyone has said - I think Ken covers it about a roll up pad for under a sleeping bag!

More - I have motorcycle camped but that was over 25 years ago. I still remember this: One thing you don't want to do is leave food in a bag or something outside, where animals like dogs and raccoons can get into it or, in that area where you plan to go - BEARS (yes Bears) and you better have your shootin' arn and some 9mm ammo with you in your tent. A 357 would make me more comfortable beside me while camping in a tent ...

Additionally in bear country, do not cook near your camp,
do not cook smelly foods or sleep in clothes with food odors, or bring any food or lotions into your tent. Bears have been known to slash right through a tent to get to the food they smell!

I lived in Alaska from 1958 to 1961 and spent plenty of time in the wild. Today I am like Ken - I like my 38 foot 5th wheel camper just to stay safe and away from wild boar in Florida!
Well, do you think I can mitigate potential animal hazards by staying at a "louder" campground, like IronHorse? I would rather just find a spot next to the river and set camp there, but I'm too green for that kind of nonsense, just yet.

Also, I sold my Colt 1911 when I was laid off a few years back. Sure would rather take that instead of the S&W Shield, but I do have access to larger caliber pistols. I could take a semi-auto .45 that holds 13 rounds per magazine. Anything more than that, and my ass is hopping on the Ducati and getting the hell out of Dodge, man. I'll ride down 129 in my underwear if it means not going toe-to-toe with a damn bear.
Old 09-08-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

When I camp in bear country I only put food in my trunk and never keep it in my trunk overnight. At night I take my trunk off the bike so in case it still smells like there is food in it the bear will only tear up my trunk, not my whole motorcycle.

You really don't have to be very afraid of black bears. You are vastly more likely to be attacked and killed by another human being.

Old 09-08-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
Well, do you think I can mitigate potential animal hazards by staying at a "louder" campground, like IronHorse?
No, I don't actually think you would be any safer from bears. A bear that would attack you is not afraid of people so that bear would not avoid a place with a lot of people.

You would be much safer from other human beings if you stayed at Iron Horse.

Old 09-08-2013
Bald, Fat & Slow.

Old 09-08-2013

TimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud of
Default Re: First Motorcycle Camping Trip..

Keep in mind not every one needs a queen size air matress like tank. A twin would be much smaller. I have used both ait matreas and the sleeping pads. Sleeping pad is nice I just roll it up in my sleeping bag. I know you said u would use your rain fly but u may consider a small tarp.it also doubles as a something to put under your tent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
13 HD Roadglide custom
Old 09-08-2013
TIME TO RIDE - RIDE ON!!!

HG has disabled reputation

When I was young, my dad dragged me camping many times - I hated it every time - also hated fishing.
"
So, that is two things I don't do......
"
Dad said I was always active and got bored easy....true.... even today.
"
Have fun camping - many many people like it - good for you.

Ride on....

Hopefully, those miles put a smile on your face! It always does for me!