Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Gear

Notices

Gear Talk about helmets, tires, clothing, camping equipment, GPS - all that extra stuff we need!

Old 07-23-2015
This space for Rent

Warlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond repute
Default SPOT Gen 3 Tech Support - Praise

First let me say: I am a huge proponent of satellite locators. I think they are an awesome tool for folks like us who like to explore those places less traveled, whether it be on your bike, feet, boat or car. If you don't have one and you like to go off the beaten path I highly suggest you get one. It may save your life one day. Ask Tank.

I have been a SPOT owner since 2010 with a Gen 1 after I went to Texas and had several big blank spots where the LSMW couldn't get a hold of me via cell phone and that freaked the LSMW out. I bought my Gen 3 when they first came out, a couple years ago, because as a Gen 2 owner I got a special offer. Well, it sat for the better part of a year now as I didn't really have time to ride much and for the most part that is when I use it. I had removed the batteries and put it in my "gear drawer." Last week I thought I might get a chance to get out and I took it out of the drawer. I bought a new set of lithium batteries for it and put them in. NOTHING...no power on, no reactions at all, except the unit started to get very warm. I pulled the batteries out and put the unit away. (I also didn't get a ride...life is interfering far too much lately. lol)

Tech support for SPOT is only available via phone Monday - Friday from 8-5. NOT the greatest of hours.

I did send them an email from the support site but there is no notice of how long it will take them to respond. The had not responded by Tuesday.

Tuesday I called the support desk at lunch time. I talked to a very nice lady who when I explained what had happened (especially the unit getting very warm) immediately said, "Sir will you please hold. I need to escalate this call." I said sure. Another very nice lady came on and I proceeded to tell her my tale of woe. She also was very concerned that the unit got very warm. Anyway, long story short after we talked a few minutes she said I see you have been a member since 2010 and so as loyal customer I am sending you a new unit (mine has been out of warranty for at least a year, maybe two.) at no charge. That's right, free, gratis, ain't costing me nuthin. They also did not want my old unit returned. I should have my new unit in 3 to 5 days from Tuesday.

I have read some very bad reviews on SPOT's tech support. I cannot say they are true. My experience is very counter to the bad reviews. I will say their support hours do suck, especially for an international company. But my experience was very positive.

Bill

My SPOT, his name is Fido:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Warlock; 07-23-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2015

JeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant futureJeepMaker has a brilliant future

Very nice. Free !, that's way better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."- Alexis de Tocqueville
Old 07-23-2015
Warning shots waste ammo!

Redtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent!!! Great customer service can be the best seller of any good product!
It's 5:00 somewhere!
Old 07-23-2015
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Gen 1, and upgraded to a Gen 2 when they came out. I use it every time I'm out on one of the bikes. Have not had the opportunity to "test" customer service, but glad to hear they were responsive.

I purchased my first Spot tracker after a freind's brother went missing on his MC in the Rockies a number of years ago. After a 5 state search by hundreds of people, his body and the wreckage from his MC were eventually discovered on a mountainside in CO. Because he had no SPot tracker and had paid for gasoline in cash, there was virtually no trace of him between Walla Walla WA and Denver CO, where he lived.

The Spot would not have saved him, but at least the family and emergency personnel would have known where to focus the search efforts.

I bought my Spot the day after he was found, and have used it religiously since then.

Being able to see tracks of our trips on Spotwalla is pretty cool too !

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....

Last edited by wahoo; 07-23-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2015
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

I had nothing but problems with my Spot and eventually sold it. Sometimes it couldn't find me and I'd set the unit on my back porch for an hour without it finding me. There would be huge gaps in pinging my location..not as far as Washington to Colorado, but I came home from Indiana one time and called my wife and she said " where are you?" and I said "I'm at home" and she says " your spot page says you are in Indiana and not moving, I've been worried". So much for peace of mind. I didn't re up when it was due and sold the unit.

Every time I called tech support they would tell me to put new batteries in it even if I had just put new batteries in it .

I certainly hope they have improved the units, because I do believe its a valuable resource for travelers like us, but if it can't find me and report where I am what good is it?

I have heard if you have some cell phones theres an app for locating your cell phone that may be used just like this as long as you have cell phone reception, but I haven't checked into that.
Old 07-23-2015
live life full throttle

swish024 is on a distinguished road

I know of one called glymps or something like that. An app for phone. You can also send it to someone in a text and they can then watch where you are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2015
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

The older Gen 1 units had issues. My Gen 2 unit has been pretty reliable.

During our recent 10 day trip to New England, I had it on and in tracking mode every day. When I returned home, and checked the spotwalla page I'm linked to, the recordation of our journey was incredible. I'm sure there were a few missed signals in 10 days, but our 10 day track looks fairly complete.

I've had some problems with the signals hitting the satelite when I was on the BRP a few years ago, but attributed it to weak batteries. I quit using lithium batteries and started using duracell AAA batteries. I need to change them about every 5-7 usage days, but I had to replace the lithium bateries fairly often too, and they were a LOT more expensive.

Thanfully, I've never needed to use the emergency signal feature on the spot, and hope that I never do. Mrs. Wahoo like to follow me when she's home and I'm on the road somewhere, so the annual cost is worth it in my situation.

Happy wife... happy life

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 07-23-2015
This space for Rent

Warlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
I have heard if you have some cell phones there's an app for locating your cell phone that may be used just like this as long as you have cell phone reception, but I haven't checked into that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish024 View Post
I know of one called glymps or something like that. An app for phone. You can also send it to someone in a text and they can then watch where you are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The whole point of the SPOT is because cell phones don't always work. I can tell you for sure there are several "blind spots" in Arkansas and Texas for my (and I would venture to guess everyone's regardless of provider) cell phone that aren't blind to the SPOT. Sorry you had a bad experience Ferret.

Bill

My SPOT, his name is Fido:

Old 07-23-2015

Jim has disabled reputation

It only makes sense to give you a new unit to help guarantee a service renewal. I assume it's still around $150 annual subscription cost as I let mine expire a couple years ago. I bought mine about the same time as Ferret for $35 and that included a 1 year service. It worked out nice when I rode to Sturgis as WD and other family could follow along.

Have you even traveled 20 miles from home on the bike this year Warlock?
'14 BMW R1200RT
'12 Triumph Tiger 800
IBA #30023
Old 07-23-2015
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
The whole point of the SPOT is because cell phones don't always work. I can tell you for sure there are several "blind spots" in Arkansas and Texas for my (and I would venture to guess everyone's regardless of provider) cell phone that aren't blind to the SPOT. Sorry you had a bad experience Ferret.
LOL you don't have to apologize for Spot Warlock, wasn't your problem, however unless it has improved there is no difference to me between a cell phone with a blind spot and no coverage and a Spot unit with a blind spot and no coverage LOL. I wasn't the only one, over on the ST board there were lots of complaints...AND lots of happy customers. Don't know why it worked for some and not for others, but it seemed to be really random.

Like I said good idea, but mine just wasn't a good deal for me.