Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Motorcycle Tech

Notices

Motorcycle Tech Here is where you can seek advise when it is all going wrong.

Old 09-09-2016

K Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to behold
Default Brake Pad install

Well, I have 44,000 on my 2008 Yamaha FJR and it's time to replace the brake pads. I read that it's good to clean the exposed part of the pistons with brake cleaner and a toothbrush to get the road grime off. That way when pushing it back to make room for the new pads no damage will be done to the seals. My question is: Does that sound like the thing to do and will the brake cleaner do any damage to the seals?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-09-2016
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

The cleaner can should say whether it's okay to use on rubber. The cleaner I bought recently was ok. I used it on my strom when replacing pads and cage (pads and rotors) recently.

If you're not 100 percent certain, don't use it.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....

Last edited by wahoo; 09-09-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2016

K Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to beholdK Rider is a splendid one to behold

I have a can in the garage. I'll have to check and see what it says.

Old 09-09-2016

Won't be using that. Says protect all plastic and rubber from product and overspray.

Old 09-09-2016
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

BrakeClean can I have says to protect rubber and plastic but postings on the inter webs claim it won't hurt rubber seals. Not sure what I bought but the can was small and I used it all cleaning the rotors for the cage, so I tossed it in the trash weeks ago.

Can you use another type of degreaser and a toothbrush ?

My strom had 20,000 miles on it and not much gunk at all.

Old 09-09-2016

I think I'm leaning that way. Maybe I'll try to use a mild soap (like dawn) and warm water first. The bike hasn't been exposed to rain very often so hopefully the calipers are fairly lean. To be honest I haven't looked that closely yet. I'll be replacing the pads tomorrow.

Old 09-10-2016
Geek Whackjob

mello dude is on a distinguished road

A little WD40 and toothbrush would be fine to do the job. Then wipe it dry with a rag....I have been doing this for years......
Old 09-11-2016

WD-40 sounds like a good idea. I didn't see the response so I used dawn and warm water, worked well. The road grime wasn't too bad. The install went well for having 5 sets of pads to install. Yes that's correct, the Genll FJR has 5 sets of pads, 4 up front and 1 in the rear. Took the bike out today, everything seemed to be working properly.

Last edited by K Rider; 09-11-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2016
It's always time to ride

If Yamaha is like Suzuki, all 4 front sets of pads probable have different part numbers too.

Glad everything went smoothly

Old 09-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
If Yamaha is like Suzuki, all 4 front sets of pads probable have different part numbers too.

Glad everything went smoothly
They're the same part number but they are expensive. All together the parts were around $300 dollars. That's from the cheapest place online I could find. That did include some spring clips and such that may not have needed to be replaced but the manual suggested replacing them, so I did. Figure I didn't want to cheapen out in the brakes.