Go Back   Ride Ohio > Reasons to Ride > Southeast Ohio

Notices

Southeast Ohio Things to do, places to eat, and roads to ride in Southeast Ohio.

Old 09-26-2012
Banned

spiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirepair View Post
Glad you enjoyed your ride, and you're right about needing 4 days or so; just too many good roads to be riden!
I had read about the area for years but we always blew by heading to TN and the NC, WV. Great play area much closer to home. This was my first trip not being road captain. It was great to bring up the rear not be concerned with missing turns or which way we were heading. I have officially retired as road captain I like the view from the back of the pack. Thanks all for the help on the road suggestions.
Old 09-26-2012
TIME TO RIDE - RIDE ON!!!

HG has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderweb View Post
I had read about the area for years but we always blew by heading to TN and the NC, WV. Great play area much closer to home. This was my first trip not being road captain. It was great to bring up the rear not be concerned with missing turns or which way we were heading. I have officially retired as road captain I like the view from the back of the pack. Thanks all for the help on the road suggestions.
News worthy - they actually read in Michigan. Son of a gun!

That would be a ZING..

Hopefully, those miles put a smile on your face! It always does for me!
Old 09-26-2012
Banned

spiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Guy View Post
News worthy - they actually read in Michigan. Son of a gun!

That would be a ZING..

Yes sir I took the Evelyn Woods speed reading course.
Old 09-26-2012
Banned

So ........ Has anybody done the half mile walk in to- Conkle's Hollow, situated off S.R. 374 on Big Pine Road is a rugged, rocky gorge - considered one of the deepest in Ohio. The valley floor is a veritable wilderness covered by a profusion of ferns and wildflowers while hemlock, birch and other hardwood tower overhead. The growth is so thick in places that little or no sunlight reaches the deep valley floor.

We were told by a local that it was pretty cool and the there were some small caves back in there to explore. Supposedly the foot path is a paved path. But a half mile in half mile out. We did not do the walk not enough time but id like to return and check it out if its worth the walk. What ye say?
Old 09-26-2012

Jim has disabled reputation

Quote:
So ........ Has anybody done the half mile walk in to- Conkle's Hollow, situated off S.R. 374 on Big Pine Road is a rugged, rocky gorge - considered one of the deepest in Ohio. The valley floor is a veritable wilderness covered by a profusion of ferns and wildflowers while hemlock, birch and other hardwood tower overhead. The growth is so thick in places that little or no sunlight reaches the deep valley floor.

We were told by a local that it was pretty cool and the there were some small caves back in there to explore. Supposedly the foot path is a paved path. But a half mile in half mile out. We did not do the walk not enough time but id like to return and check it out if its worth the walk. What ye say?
Yep, as a kid we used to have family picnics down there. A great place to hike and one of my favorite places in the Hocking Hills.

Edit:
Oops...brain fart it was Cantwell Cliff's where the family always would go, I've been to Conkle's Hollow but always preferred Cantwell Cliff's, Old Mans Cave and Cedar Falls. You can't go wrong with any of them really.
'14 BMW R1200RT
'12 Triumph Tiger 800
IBA #30023

Last edited by Jim; 09-26-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2012
Banned

Thanks Jim Jim. I am surprised there are not many pictures of these places on the forum. We passed the Stone house and the conkles hollow both peaked my interest. Saw a reference to the cliffs and old mans cave. Id like to see them all.
Old 09-27-2012
old arse grabber

oag has a reputation beyond reputeoag has a reputation beyond reputeoag has a reputation beyond reputeoag has a reputation beyond reputeoag has a reputation beyond reputeoag has a reputation beyond reputeoag has a reputation beyond reputeoag has a reputation beyond reputeoag has a reputation beyond reputeoag has a reputation beyond reputeoag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Jim Jim. I am surprised there are not many pictures of these places on the forum. We passed the Stone house and the conkles hollow both peaked my interest. Saw a reference to the cliffs and old mans cave. Id like to see them all.
http://www.oldmanscave.net/old_man's_cave.htm

Don't fall in the devils bathtub.
Old 09-27-2012
Banned

Neat ! I think that would be cool to explore the cave. Im sure its a busy tourist spot but I still want to check it out. Thanks for the link oag.
Old 10-28-2012

Prometheus is on a distinguished road

Ash cave rocks too. The general Hocking Hills area is one of Ohio's really beautiful places. Great camping too.

2006 DL650 V Strom
1999 Orange and Black Valkyrie