Go Back   Ride Ohio > Special Interest > Camping

Notices

Camping Discuss campgrounds, gear, camp cooking - anything that relates to camping on a motorcycle.

Old 08-25-2012

Iceman63 is on a distinguished road
Default SE Ohio camgrounds

Hello all,
Have'nt been on the forum in a while. I have a question about camping if I may. Had planned on making it out there last year, but it did'nt work out...so, I may try again this year, late Sept.
I want to tent camp, and would like have hot showers avail as I'll be there for 3 or 4 days. I was looking at Hocking Hills State Park and Lake Hope State Park as well as a KOA in the Logan area. But am thinking the Marietta area may give me better access to some of the good roads. I really did'nt see anything in that area.
If the Hocking Hills/Logan area is as good road wise, that's fine with me.
Any recomendations?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2012

TraPofMinD is on a distinguished road

This seems like Déjà vu.

I can't help with camping, but I am interested to see what others say on the subject. I can say that it is hard to not find a good road in southern Ohio. If you decide to stay in Marietta, you can still take an awesome ride over to Hocking hills going down 550 then picking up 56 in Athens. 550 was just paved and it is a very technical road. Walk down to Ceder Falls to stretch out your legs.
Old 08-25-2012

Yeah, I'd like to see Old Man Cave too. I may end up staying in the Hocking Hills, and riding over to the Marietta area to rides some of those roads as well...26, etc...probably be some long day rides, but doable.
TraPofmd, I see you are an FZ1 rider too.
Old 08-25-2012

TriPofMd, no wonder, just remembered you answered my post on the FZ1 board.
Old 08-25-2012

TraPofMinD is on a distinguished road

Thus the Déjà vu. Yeah there are a few FZ1 guys in this forum, it's the best overall bike that I have owned, or even ridden.
Old 08-25-2012
Fickle Pickle

jnor has disabled reputation

Gen 1 FZ1's rule
Old 08-25-2012

Fabracator is a splendid one to beholdFabracator is a splendid one to beholdFabracator is a splendid one to beholdFabracator is a splendid one to beholdFabracator is a splendid one to beholdFabracator is a splendid one to beholdFabracator is a splendid one to beholdFabracator is a splendid one to behold

Hocking hills is a good state park,just like most parks you have to pick your camp site to get a good one.They have showers and restrooms.I have camped there many tyimes.There are others as well in SE ohio.most ohio state parks work well for motorcycle camping.If camping in a RV some parks don't have very big sites to park on ,so you have to choose carefully.There are some privite owned camp grounds as well.but I have stayed at many of them.There is a camp ground outside of Athens that is owned by hocking tech collage,and it pretty good to stay at,but I have only been there 1 time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2012

Saddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud of

We have camped at Hocking Hills State Park, Tar Hollow State Park, and the KOA located closed to Hocking Hills State park. Our Favorite it Hocking Hills State Park. More space per site, cleaner showers than at Tar Hollow. KOA was clean, but so close to together.. Hope you have a great time...I got another vacation Mid Sept, just not sure which direction I am going..
Old 08-25-2012
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
Gen 1 FZ1's rule
YES THEY DO!
Old 08-25-2012
Warning shots waste ammo!

Redtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabracator View Post
Hocking hills is a good state park,just like most parks you have to pick your camp site to get a good one.They have showers and restrooms.I have camped there many tyimes.There are others as well in SE ohio.most ohio state parks work well for motorcycle camping.If camping in a RV some parks don't have very big sites to park on ,so you have to choose carefully.There are some privite owned camp grounds as well.but I have stayed at many of them.There is a camp ground outside of Athens that is owned by hocking tech collage,and it pretty good to stay at,but I have only been there 1 time.
We have friends that had their site booked for months. Since the state parks don't have a waiting list I had to call every morning at 7:00 AM to see if there was a cancellation. (If someone cancels it won't be available until the next day)
Therefore we couldn't be choosy of what we got on Labor Day weekend. Fortunatly we are only about 4 lots from them.
It's 5:00 somewhere!