Go Back   Ride Ohio > Reasons to Ride > Southeast Ohio

Notices

Southeast Ohio Things to do, places to eat, and roads to ride in Southeast Ohio.

Old 09-14-2012
I WANT MORE PIE!

sirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond repute

The cabins at Lake Hope are nice. Usually not as crowded as Old Man's Cave. They have 4 beds, a couch and a huge enclosed porch so if you took some air matresses putting 8 in one cabin is do-able. You'll need to go at least to McArthur to find a restaurant though.

The KOA north of Old Man's Cave has 3 or 4 "Cabins", and a few "sleeping cabins" (box w/bunks), very clean shower house, great people running it. It is VERY FAMILY ORIENTED, so if you plan to watch caveman TV and drink beer till O-dark-thiry it may not be the place for you.

Logan, Nelsonville, Athens and Jackson could all work too.

I agree with JNOR and drc's routes, and there are LOTS of other great roads near by.
Old 09-14-2012

Jim has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderweb View Post
Jnor - Jimbo's as in Jim Jim's or as in Jimbo's as an establishment of some sort?
'14 BMW R1200RT
'12 Triumph Tiger 800
IBA #30023
Old 09-14-2012
Banned

spiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirepair View Post
The cabins at Lake Hope are nice. Usually not as crowded as Old Man's Cave. They have 4 beds, a couch and a huge enclosed porch so if you took some air matresses putting 8 in one cabin is do-able. You'll need to go at least to McArthur to find a restaurant though.

The KOA north of Old Man's Cave has 3 or 4 "Cabins", and a few "sleeping cabins" (box w/bunks), very clean shower house, great people running it. It is VERY FAMILY ORIENTED, so if you plan to watch caveman TV and drink beer till O-dark-thiry it may not be the place for you.

Logan, Nelsonville, Athens and Jackson could all work too.

I agree with JNOR and drc's routes, and there are LOTS of other great roads near by.
We will certainly drink some brews but despite my reputation we can behave when needed. Plus we will need some sleep to make the trip home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Looks like a great place for a 2 beer burger lunch. And here I thought Jnor was giving me direction to your house Jim Jim

Good call Jnor It looks like our kinda place thanks.

Last edited by spiderweb; 09-14-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2012
Banned

spiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond reputespiderweb has a reputation beyond repute

Were back.
Got wet Friday night. Well thats what the rain gear is for. Plans changed once again because of the weather. So at the last minute We headed for southeast Ohio. Made it. Construction sucked. Hit a bar/restaurant Friday nite for dinner. That almost got ugly. Some freak came in there pissed off about being over charged by a hundred bucks on his credit card and was threatening to shoot the place up. Great!!! Finished our meals with one hand on our heaters. And left. Got settled in for the nite partied in the motel till 3 am Slow start Saturday Go figure Ok the good part Beautiful day Saturday.

In a nutshell the roads you guys listed were pretty darn good But this time of year there was a lot of debris in the corners on all of the Ohio byway type roads in Hocking. So we rode accordingly.

we rode 664, Big pine,374,56,78, parts of 33 and a few miles of 555 and a couple of roads that were not listed that turn out to be very very narrow some what bumpy but pretty cool for a peek into life around the area.

We hit Jimbos recommended by Jnor.
Jnor was right! The place was our kind of place. Great location Walked in nice and quiet no rap music playing in fact no music was playing it was very quiet and peaceful at the time anyway. There were about 30 riders hanging out when we pulled in but still nice and quiet. Food was awesome I had the Jimbo burger. Holy crap that thing was huge. Left feeling very fat and Happy thanks Jnor you were spot on.

NOTE- To those who may not know Jimbo the owner Died August 17th 2012 I believe of heart failure Thats too bad I hope they keep the place going as we will return to the area asap. "from JimBo's Facebook page:

"I want to thank all my friends and family for your love and support durning this very difficult time. For those of you who have not heard. JimBo passed away Friday around six o'clock. He was sittting on the patio at JimBo's having a beer with friends. His heart stopped and he died instantly. He will be so missed.."

We left Jimbos heading east north east sorta something like that. and was going to try to touch West Virginia Just plain ran out of time we got close but by late afternoon We found ourselves out running some really nasty storm clouds trying to swallow us up. As we were hauling ass outta there we Hit route 78 Which turned out to be very very Fun!! Basically clean smooth road a bit like a roller coaster banked curves We had a blast running from the storm on 78 and we stayed dry this time. ended up at Hog Heaven for dinner Flame broiled goodies we could smell from outside of town man did it smell good ate there. Food was great.

Jnor wish we would have had more time I would have liked to shake your hand And Mtnstar thank you so much for your kind offer. Maybe next time. we can fit it in. This weekend was very short. We need much more time to really enjoy the area.

The ride home was grueling to say the least. We rode Ohio 250 to get back across the state. Very cold Dodging rain the whole way. High wind was a real pistol But that's riding in late September anything can happen

Last edited by spiderweb; 09-25-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2012
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you had a good time Spidey.I really like 56 it's a neat road and 664 too. Wish the weather had been better for you. Sounds about the same that we had going to the U.P. year before last. Mmmm good trade lol.
Old 09-25-2012
Fickle Pickle

jnor has disabled reputation

Glad you had a good time Jimbo was an awsome guy.
Old 09-26-2012
Banned

Yeah thats right you did have a chilly ride to the U.P. Ok we evened out the universe then. I got the payback for that. It was a good ride. We met some dirt bikers at one of our gas stops. There had to be 30/40 bikes to many to count there were having a ball. They said the trails were great! No dust from the rain friday nite. Man I miss the trail riding days.

I believe the Hog heaven Flame BBQ was in New Pittsburgh? Prices were reasonable food was very good.

We only got to do the front half of 78 as we turned north on 77 to head to 250 we just ran out of time. We must go back I want to ride the second half of 78 That road was just plain fun Next time we need to take 4 days and get a hotel /cabin and just hang in the area instead of just traveling thru. Very beautiful in the south east corner you guys are real lucky to have that area.
Old 09-26-2012
TIME TO RIDE - RIDE ON!!!

HG has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderweb View Post
Yeah thats right you did have a chilly ride to the U.P. Ok we evened out the universe then. I got the payback for that. It was a good ride. We met some dirt bikers at one of our gas stops. There had to be 30/40 bikes to many to count there were having a ball. They said the trails were great! No dust from the rain friday nite. Man I miss the trail riding days.

I believe the Hog heaven Flame BBQ was in New Pittsburgh? Prices were reasonable food was very good.

We only got to do the front half of 78 as we turned north on 77 to head to 250 we just ran out of time. We must go back I want to ride the second half of 78 That road was just plain fun Next time we need to take 4 days and get a hotel /cabin and just hang in the area instead of just traveling thru. Very beautiful in the south east corner you guys are real lucky to have that area.

New Philadelphia would be the city. Good BBQ place for sure.

Glad you had some fun in our state and spent money in our state. I did not read of any mayhem, so you must of behaved - at least to a level below news worthy.......

Ride On........

Hopefully, those miles put a smile on your face! It always does for me!
Old 09-26-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Guy View Post
New Philadelphia would be the city. Good BBQ place for sure.

Glad you had some fun in our state and spent money in our state. I did not read of any mayhem, so you must of behaved - at least to a level below news worthy.......

Ride On........

Yes your right thats the town. We did behave ......well sort of. It was close on friday nite the situation in the bar was turning ugly fast.

And then there was the construction back up for 3 miles. It was a shame not to blow by 2.5 miles of it on the shoulder that no one was using lol
Cagers were getting pissed as we blew by on the shoulder for 2.5 miles
State trooper watched us go by he was on the north side watching us
Other than that we were well behaved. We didnt want to be banned as we would like to return
Old 09-26-2012
I WANT MORE PIE!

sirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you enjoyed your ride, and you're right about needing 4 days or so; just too many good roads to be riden!