Go Back   Ride Ohio > Reasons to Ride > Southeast Ohio

Notices

Southeast Ohio Things to do, places to eat, and roads to ride in Southeast Ohio.

Old 10-22-2012
Roadwryter

toddwrites is on a distinguished road
Default Joining the Wee-Strom club

Here's hoping some RO Wee-Strom owners will send along some insights.
This weekend I pick up a new-to-me 04 DL650. 8200 miles, bone stock. It will need brakes soonest and new rubber next season. I intend to change the oil and lube the chain once I get it home--which will be an interesting ride from Washington Court House to Athens, as my other bike is a GL1800 and I've been on cruisers before that.
Putting on the lowering links is first priority. Handguards and a power outlet for heated gear top my farkle list.
I don't intend to ADV ride with this, but there are some great back roads around here that just aren't suited for the 'Wing. And I'll commute on it, but it's a very short commute.

Best,
Todd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aka 'Roadwryter"
'05 GL1800 ABS
'04 DL650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-22-2012

PAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice bike, I'd take some lube with me and take a little time and lube the chain before you start home.

Old 10-22-2012
Warning shots waste ammo!

Redtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you're going to have fun with it! ENJOY!!!!!
It's 5:00 somewhere!
Old 10-22-2012
Fickle Pickle

jnor has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPAWOF2 View Post
Nice bike, I'd take some lube with me and take a little time and lube the chain before you start home.

Another great post from a very knowledgeable motorcycle enthusiast.....
Old 10-22-2012
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if anyone here has a Wee. Jnor, Tank and I all have V's (DL 1000) but many of the comments probably apply to both the 650 and 1000.

The stock seats are a common area of complaint. Jnor and Tank love theirs, me... not so much. However an Airhawk R pad did the trick and now I'm good for 500-600 mile days on mine.

Windshields are also usually replaced. I went with the Givi which costs $120 or so at Sport Touring. It's 7" higher than stock and I really like it. Tank has the same one, I think. If you need a stock windshield, I have a nearly brand new one I took off after a few hundres miles. I'll give you a good deal on it.

Mirror extenders were a must for me as I kept seeing my shoulders in the mirrors. Had the same problem on the Harley too.

Heated grips - look at the oxfords as an alternative to OEM Suzuki. Much cheaper and they work great.

Does it have side and top cases ? I also hard wired my GPS so I can now swap it back and forth from bike to bike via RAM mounts bases I have on each ride.

Tires: Everyone seems to love the Tourance tires for the Stroms. I will find out next spring when I re-shoe mine. The stock Trailwings have been ok, but rear mileage was not great for me (6000-6500 miles). The front has 7,000 mile on it and proabbly still has 2000 miles left on it.

Check out Stromtrooper.com for lots of great info too.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....

Last edited by wahoo; 10-22-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2012
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

Over the winter I plan to order a set of barkbusters (to protect the clutch and brake levers in the event of a tip over.... don't ask me how I know about THAT).

Also considering side crash bars to protect the plastic.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 10-22-2012

PAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
Another great post from a very knowledgeable motorcycle enthusiast.....
Did I do something to you that I don't know about or are you just a prick after all?

Old 10-22-2012
Fickle Pickle

jnor has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPAWOF2 View Post
Did I do something to you that I don't know about or are you just a prick after all?

No...you just seem to have to rag on everybody's stuff if it's not a Honda Goldwing.....Difference is I ain't afraid to say it...
Old 10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
No...you just seem to have to rag on everybody's stuff if it's not a Honda Goldwing.....Difference is I ain't afraid to say it...
From the time this board started we have all raged on each other that's true. Seem all of a sudden in the last year or so you seem to not like being ragged on. If you remember when we were on the ride to the Smokies you were the guy who said that you felt like you were riding a Moped with all those wings, that's where the moped thing came from. What ever happened to "It's not what you ride it's that you ride"

Old 10-22-2012
TIME TO RIDE - RIDE ON!!!

HG has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
Over the winter I plan to order a set of barkbusters (to protect the clutch and brake levers in the event of a tip over.... don't ask me how I know about THAT).

Also considering side crash bars to protect the plastic.
I might have been thereto see the result of the tip over.

Hopefully, those miles put a smile on your face! It always does for me!