Go Back   Ride Ohio > Reasons to Ride > Southwest Ohio

Notices

Southwest Ohio Things to do, places to eat, and roads to ride in Southwest Ohio.

Old 08-01-2012
Retired and Riding

Road Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond repute
Default South West skyline ride and beyond

This route starts at the Ohio/Indiana State Line marker on US 50 at Elizabethtown, Ohio.

Head east on US 50 first traffic light turn right - that is Lawrenceburg Road. Cross over the Great Miami/Whitewater River bridge (used to be called "Lost Bridge - but the found a new one) turn right at the stop sign. ride past Mt. Nebo Road and turn left on Dugan Gap. Ride a few twisty turns (not that many) and after a 90 degree left turn, you will start to notice the Ohio River as you will be on the skyline ride of Cliff Road which will give you vistas of the river and the Kentucky shoreline. Continue on along Cliff Road and you will soon see the tomb of William Henry Harrison - 9th President of the United States on the left.

At the Harrison's Tomb stop sign, make a right turn and you will follow Brower Road along the bottom of the hill that you were just on while riding Cliff Road. This will take you past some industry as well as the power plant that used to be called Columbia Power - make this loop and you will come to the bridge you had crossed earlier. Left turn on the bridge crossing the river and then you will see the traffic light at US 50 that you left earlier.

A left turn will take you back to the point of beginning.

Or go straight across through the traffic light and you will be on Lawrenceburg Road. In the heat of the summer, this is a cool tree lined area once past Watson Gravel at the first road to the right. Stay on Lawrenceburg Road and you will be following the Whitewater River. Near the end of Lawrenceburg Road you will pass a VFW hall and then come to a stop sign. Right turn at the stop sign and you will be on State Line Road - the state line actually is the center line of the road.

Follow State Line past the 4 way flashing stop another block, to the traffic light and you will be in downtown Harrison. Make a right at the traffic light and you will be in the heart of downtown Harrison - follow Harrison Avenue passing several traffic lights and you will eventually see a custom Harley shop called the House of Thunder on the left. If you are hungry stop next door to a bar called Triple Cats - burgers and hoagies are excellent and filling.

A right turn out of the Triple Cats bar or the House of Thunder and you will be heading back to the west on Harrison Avenue. Traffic light - right turn on New Haven Road and that will take you to I-74 where you can head east to wherever you need to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired and Riding for over 17 years on a small fixed income!

Honda said ride RED so I am...

Old 08-02-2012

Ken45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to behold

RR you take me back many many years when I used to frequent those roads (before the cycle). I think my fiancee' (40+ years ago) and I drove about every road in western Hamilton county and SE Indiana back then.

Ken