Go Back   Ride Ohio > Special Interest > Dirt Bikes

Notices

Dirt Bikes For dirt and dual sport riding.

Old 12-16-2007

Buildit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Sport

Maybe Dual Sport biking should have it's own catagory but since it doesn't yet, Dirt Bikes will do. So why dual sport? Best of both worlds! Ride to the trail, enjoy off road areas, then ride it home.
My trusty old KLR has been my ride of choice for this, requiring some minor changes. SS pegs, IMS tank, T-mod, knobies, metal engine guard, reduced front sprocket and larger rear and fork brace for starters. When you run into a 250cc rider out on the trails they look at you like your lost, but when you easily power up hills they die on, well you get some respect.
Ohio has a large community of dual sport riders and it is a constantly growing group ranging from first timers to former MX racers. I've been blessed with riding with all ranges of riders. Look forward to hooking up with some others to share the trails as weather allows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-17-2007
"Lil Hitler"

johnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking to get a dual sport myself. But first i gotta get rid of/trade my triumph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-17-2007

OhioPT has disabled reputation

I'm a dual-sport junkie. I typically ride in Columbiana County, OH and in areas just north-west of Pittsburgh, since there are plenty of trails nearby, but I plan to make a few trips down your way next year (already signed up for the BYOB event in June). We have a pretty large group of locals here the ride dual-sports (10 riders locally, and a few more that live on the other side of Pittsburgh). Let me know if you want to check out our trails up here, and I'll give you a tour.
'04 KTM 250 EXC
'03 KTM 450 EXC (for sale)
Old 12-17-2007
"Lil Hitler"

johnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond reputejohnny has a reputation beyond repute

I will see you at BYOB

Old 12-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT
I'm a dual-sport junkie. I typically ride in Columbiana County, OH and in areas just north-west of Pittsburgh, since there are plenty of trails nearby, but I plan to make a few trips down your way next year (already signed up for the BYOB event in June). We have a pretty large group of locals here the ride dual-sports (10 riders locally, and a few more that live on the other side of Pittsburgh). Let me know if you want to check out our trails up here, and I'll give you a tour.
Never been out further than the WNF area just beyond Cladwell. If I get out there I'll be sure to let you know. I'm only 60 miles up rt56, NW of where BYOB will take place so I ride that area a lot. Actually it's the closest "real" off roading to me. Look forward to hooking up a BYOB. Should be a group of us doing dual sport riding there. :wink:

Old 12-21-2007

missing link has disabled reputation

Buildit, what do you recommend in the way of dual sport tyres?
Old 12-22-2007

It depends on what your riding and where. Not to mention that not all brands are made for every tire size. For the KLR (21 front, 17 rear) I like the following:
On road Front stock, rear Avon Gripster
50/50 Front Stock or Pirelli MT21 rear Kenda Trackmaster or stock tire
80% off road or more = Pirelli Scorpian K260 S/X front and Kenda Track Master or 257 rear

Some people like the 606 but I think it's a bit expensive compared to the Trackmaster which holds up just as well. Hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2007

+1

For 50/50 riding (or anything more street biased), I think the Kenda K270 rear is the best compromise, although I've never tried it myself, yet. The K270 front sucks, so I'd stick with a MT-21 front, or something along those lines.

For 80/20 or 90/10 riding, the Kenda Trackmaster rear is the shit! In our group of riders, almost all of us use this tire. For the front, I really like the Pirelli MT-44, which is also DOT approved.
'04 KTM 250 EXC
Old 12-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT
+1

For 50/50 riding (or anything more street biased), I think the Kenda K270 rear is the best compromise, although I've never tried it myself, yet. The K270 front sucks, so I'd stick with a MT-21 front, or something along those lines.

For 80/20 or 90/10 riding, the Kenda Trackmaster rear is the shit! In our group of riders, almost all of us use this tire. For the front, I really like the Pirelli MT-44, which is also DOT approved.
MT-44 I've yet to see that one, does it come in a 17" size? Most KLR riders have a lot of trouble finding rears with good knobs so the track master is becoming real popular since the knobs are spaced well enough to throw out mud.
I got a Pirelli scorpian front for serious offroad on the front, but don't mistake it for the onroad scorpian. This is rated for offraod enduro racing, it's just too bad they don't make a 17" rear.

Old 12-22-2007

MT-44:
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/ti...d=10806&mmyId=

3 Ply trend
R-Rated for speed up to 106mph
Front tire conquers everything from rocky terrain to deep sand - used by off-road champions Scott Summers and Randy Hawkins
Both offer long-wearing performance
DOT APPROVED

Like I said, I like this tire for the front (21" wheel), not the rear. I know which Scorpions you are referring to. They are supposed to be good DOT tires from what I've read.
'04 KTM 250 EXC