Go Back   Ride Ohio > Special Interest > Dirt Bikes

Notices

Dirt Bikes For dirt and dual sport riding.

Old 01-07-2008

weasel
Talking

that's why i rode the 200 class...

less squids than 125B, 125A was to much work!!

here's a couple pics with me, Scott Rodgers and Les Aschinger...
LLUUUUUUCCCCCYYYYYY!!!

i'm comming up on Scott in the 1st pic, Les is in the yellow helmet..

hounding Scott....his rear wheel is off the ground, but he's WFO, didn't work!! hehe

next lap!!! no Scott!! look at that form!!! lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rulz?
we don't need no steekin rulz!
but,
inside rulz!!!
Old 01-09-2008
Wanna race?

Ohiomotoxer is on a distinguished road

How bout I powder your nose punk..........

That was 1978 Buckeye Raceway me poofing a friend Rick Bennett.
Notice no gloves and mis matching outfit.....
At Buckeye they would run a hare scramble in the morning and MX at noon.
I raced my RM100 in the AM race and hopped the Y zed for the PM.

Fun times they were.....
Old 01-09-2008
Wanna race?

Fast forward to 1998 Mid Ohio AHRMA motocross.
1974 Elsinore.......slightly modded.....notice the Shinobi water cooled head....

Gosh that under jersey chest protector made me look bulbus !

Old 01-09-2008

weasel

nice pics omoto!!
boy have i been to some dust bowl tracks!!
Haspen would be so hard and dry that even when they soaked the track the night b4, by mid 1st motos, poof berms everywhere!!
i like this shot from Gran AM in Hammersville, gettin' into 1st turn taken from the pines in the middle...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rulz?
but,
inside rulz!!!
Old 01-09-2008

weasel

ever seen a starting gate this big!!
took 2 people per section to set it up, nobody EVER jumped that gate!!!

rulz?
but,
inside rulz!!!
Old 01-10-2008
Wanna race?

Holey molers Batman !

What track was that at?

I used to race at Smith Road allot in the 70's. Stay back a few feet and roll it on ............front wheel would be over the gate just as it dropped.
Always got the holeshot there.
Old 01-10-2008

weasel

that was on Rt125 in Hammersville, Ohio, GranAm Raceway... it was our[MotoEast] home track!! we even had a National there, of course it started raining on Thursday of that week, we had a 'new' section[virgin gropund] in the back and that was VERRRY deep in mud... MXA and DirtBike had coverage.. one pic from the new part just showed a Maico from the tripples up, the rest was buried!!! it was MUDDDDDYY!!

yeah, i would stay back about 4', when i saw the starters arm move, i was gone!! had my fair share of holeshots also!! and like i said NOBODY ever jumped that gate!!!

rulz?
but,
inside rulz!!!
Old 12-05-2008

OhioTed is on a distinguished road

That was 1978 Buckeye Raceway.....
At Buckeye they would run a hare scramble in the morning and MX at noon.
I raced my RM100 in the AM race and hopped the Y zed for the PM.

Fun times they were.....
[/quote]

Ah, Buckeye Raceway. How I remember those early AM rider's meetings, prior to the Hare Scramble event, when ol' Don Daffron would warn us about cutting the course. "There's holes out there so deep, no one would ever find you!", he would admonish us.

Here's a little story I put together about our very first ride at Buckeye. I'll pull some old pics and post 'em, too. But, here's the story for now.

FIRSTS

As we grow older, it becomes increasingly difficult to find the same level of excitement in our activities as when they were first time experiences. This is even true with motorcycles, although we are fortunate in that our sport offers such tremendous depth and variety. Still, nothing can quite match that first time, whether it be first ownership of your own bike, first time riding in the rain, first wheelie (intentional or not), first tour, first . . . race.

Ah, yes. The first time you committed yourself to true competition. First time to dare to
see how you match up. First time to get out there and see if you’ve got the speed and guts to run with the fast guys.

Now, the great thing about first time experiences is that ignorance pretty much assures you don’t know exactly what you are in for. If you did, you probably wouldn’t give it a shot in the first place, and what fun would that be? If I had known how my first race was going to go, I surely would have stayed home and hid under the bed.

As it was, after years of trail riding in our native Ohio, my old buddy Terry and I convinced ourselves we needed to expand into racing. Hare Scrambles seemed to be reasonably suited to the IT Yamahas we were riding at the time, so with virtually no idea what to expect, we decided to go for it.

Hare Scrambles racing in the 70's, at least in Ohio, was rather loosely organized and regulated. There were no quads back then and no mini class, leaving just one, everybody at once, run what you brung, hit it for two hours and you’re done, race. Also, considering that Hare Scrambles has no practice, our local enterprising promoter decided he could turn us loose in the morning and still run a full schedule of motocross in the afternoon.

So, aware that the green flag fell at 9 am for what was to be our first hare scramble, we figured to head out about seven and get there in p-l-e-n-t-y of time. Except that we didn’t know where the track was. Follow the signs to the facility? Nah, no signs. That was years in the future. Directions? Three abbreviated sentences in Cycle News. What the heck does "7 mi N on old SR82, L pst 3rd drt rd bfr Zane’s Crnrs" mean?

We didn’t have no fancy transporters back then either. Nope, just my big Oldsmobile towing an open trailer. Good thing too, because when it got to be 8:30 and we still hadn’t found the track, we were tearing up and down those back roads at 85 mph! Let’s see you do that in a big-ass box van, especially on gravel roads with a big ol’ hump down the middle and three foot ditches on both sides.

Well, we were too enthused, (and dumb) to give up, and finally about 8:55(!) we came
tearing into the track, slid to a stop, jumped out, and with gear bags in hand, ran for signup. The
entire field was sitting on the line, ready to go. Terry and I found the signup lady already packed up and done, but we threw money at her, and while climbing into our riding gear, signed the releases. Then, another mad dash, still pulling on boots and jerseys, back to where we had parked. All the rest of the riders were watching us from the starting line. The promoter was actually holding up the start, waiting for us. My then girlfriend, now wife (can you believe she stuck with me?) had our bikes unloaded and ready to go. Without a moment to even think about what we were doing, we blasted over to the start, found spots on the line, and the moment we pulled into place, the starter dropped the flag.

Remember those loose regulations? Well, back then, we didn’t bother starting the classes separately. No sir, the whole field - 80, 100, 120 bikes, it didn’t matter, all took the green
flag, and went for the first turn, all at once. And hell, I was young, dumb and full of, uh, vigor, riding an open class two stroke, and as fast as anyone I knew, so I went for it! Ripping across that big field, surrounded by more bikes, more riders, more smoke, more flying mud, more noise, than I had ever experienced in my life, I thought the world was coming to an end.

As we all squeezed into the first turn, a rider on a Rokon lowsided in front of me. I ran right over him. Never saw him again that day or ever. (Maybe I killed him!) From there it was dust, mud, hitting trees, passing people, the fast guys going by real fast, noise, confusion (had no idea where the track went, just kept following people), no concept of time, just gassing it and going round and round!

At one point, Terry and I actually found each other on the track and although we were in
different classes, (he was on a 175) started racing one another. A portion of our course used part of the motocross track, and as Terry always was a better jumper than me, he started trying to pass me in the air over the MX jumps. I was doing my best to hold him off on the softly suspended, 260 lb IT, but on one landing my bars actually rotated in the triple clamps nearly down into my lap. This caused me to chop the throttle, and as Terry recounted later, put me right square in his
landing zone. He said he just missed landing on me.

Stopping to tighten the bolts securing the bars never entered my mind. No way! We were racin’! The rest of the track wasn’t so bad, but every landing from the jumps caused my bars to pivot downward. So, I would take my hands off the bars, hit them from underneath to rotate them back up, (would knock them too high every time and have to bang them part way back down again) before grabbing the throttle to resume competition.

I presumed Terry had left me far behind, when in fact he was having problems of his own.
It seems he was crashing quite frequently in the mud. So much in fact, that his gloves would become totally coated, preventing a firm grip on the bars. When it got to be too bad, he
would pull to the side of the course, drop his kickstand, duck under the course ribbons, dash past spectators, find a coarse-barked tree, and clean off his mud caked, gloved hands by dragging them across the tree bark. Then he would run back to the idling bike, click into gear, and rejoin the fray.

After two hours of this, we took the checkered flag and returned to our pit area, happy, but so tired we could hardly move. I recall being unable to uncurl my blistered hands. It had been crazy, but also a total blast. We were so happy just to have competed, survived, and finished. Imagine the unbelievable surprise when, at the trophy presentation, Terry was called for finishing third in the 175 class and me for fourth in the Open class. I still have that little trophy, my most cherished.

Nothing can ever top that first race. My first Blackwater is close, but that very first one
will always be the most memorable. The lesson here is to make firsts for yourself. Most of us have owned bikes for years, but there are still plenty of firsts to experience. Buy a first brand new bike, take that first cross country trip, restore a bike for the first time, enter your first race. It’s never too late. Give yourself the gift of a first. Guaranteed, you will remember it always.

Ted Guthrie

Old 09-21-2011

sparksmx450 is on a distinguished road

nice
Old 02-06-2012

monarksky is on a distinguished road

Sweet pics and thanks for sharing. I kinda hung out at Honda Hills and raced once in '73 on my Monark. I currently have another one and raced it also at Honda hills at a vintage race in '98 or so. Not quite the motor I remember it having when I was 17 lol