Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Gear

Notices

Gear Talk about helmets, tires, clothing, camping equipment, GPS - all that extra stuff we need!

Old 07-31-2015
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaL View Post
I'm looking to pick up a half helmet and up till now I've had a open face helmet. What brands are good? What should I look for or avoid? I don't want too bulky but I'd like it to be DOT approved? I liked the style of bell rogue but I've seen good and bad on it thanks

If it does not at least have the DOT approval there is no real reason to wear it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-31-2015

JessicaL is on a distinguished road
Default DOT

I know but every time I ask for a recommendation ppl have told me skull crusher which is not DOT approved and skid lids don't fit well so I'm asking for approved recommendations
Old 07-31-2015
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the iron pony and start trying on helmets.

If you can't find one that you like there, it doesn't exist. Seriously.

Personally I would not wear a half helmet or a "shorty" as they were once known.

That being said, I don't want to start a helmet vs no helmet bashing contest.

Wear whatever you want to wear, or don't wear anything at all. I don't care either way.

It's your head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....

Last edited by wahoo; 07-31-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2015

JessicaL is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks lol I have a 3 quarter helmet I wear usually but when it gets too hot Id like to switch
Old 07-31-2015
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

The 9nly teason non DOT helmets exist is for people who are required by law to wear a helmet. Still wont cut the mustard if you get pulled over, and it is pretty easy to identify a non DOT helmet from a distance.

So to clarify what I said before, if your reason to wear a helmet is to protect your head you should not get a non DOT helmet, because it will do absolutely nothing to protect your head from impact.

If you want a helmet for any reason other than safety buy whatever fits those needs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 07-31-2015
Bad lines, slow as hell

As far as brands go, I feel HJC is the best balance of comfort, quality, and price.

I think they even make some with skulls and flames if that's your thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 07-31-2015
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

HJC is a good choice, regardless of style. I currently have 4 HJC full face helmets and Mrs. Wahoo also wears a full face HJC helmet.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 05-29-2016

DylanB is on a distinguished road

I have a Biltwel Gringo and love it. Also opted for the mirror bubble face shield.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-02-2016
I WANT MORE PIE!

sirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently rocking a Shoei Neotech. Vents pretty well, pretty quiet for a modular, pin-loc shield comes standard. Fits my knoggin well. Not a cheap helmet by any means but, if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet.
Old 06-02-2016
Bad lines, slow as hell

Actually, the helmet people like to tell you if you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet, but that is kind of misleading.

Yes, the el cheapo non DOT approved helmets offer pretty much no protection at all, but testing has shown that the cheap DOT and Snell approved helmets protect your head just as well as the very expensive ones. In fact, several years ago a motorcycle magazine did pretty extensive helmet testing and it turned out some of the cheapest helmets offered the best protection.

What you are paying for with big dollar helmets are finish and comfort. It is easy to make a cheap helmet to protect your head - just need a plastic shell and some Styrofoam. It is more expensive to make a light, comfortable helmet. That said, nothing worse than a helmet that hurts your head.

Myself I am particular to HJC helmets. Don't know what I am wearing now, but I like it a lot. Very comfortable and the venting works awesome. I think HJC makes the best value helmets - reasonably priced, reasonably comfortable.

At the same time those expensive Shoei and Arai and some others are super nice and very comfortable if you have the cash to spend, but don't feel like you need to spend the big money to stay safe. If it has a DOT sticker on it you are reasonably protected.

Now, the argument about DOT vs. Snell is a whole other matter and I am really not up on the current standards of either so I am not going to make a call on that.