Go Back   Ride Ohio > Special Interest > Racing

Notices

Racing MotoGP, AMA, World Superbike - any type of racing!

Old 10-26-2013
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ben Spies retires from racing

Old 10-26-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

What a sad story he became.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-26-2013
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

He was a terror when he only had Maladin to deal with. Couldn't quite cut it when the competition was MotoGP level. Spies was the best this country had, and couldn't make a dent in world class competition. .....

Which makes Marquez's accomplishments all the more spectacular.
Old 10-27-2013
FORMER Party Bus Co-Pilot

mojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond reputemojTX has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ben Spies retires from racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
He was a terror when he only had Maladin to deal with. Couldn't quite cut it when the competition was MotoGP level. Spies was the best this country had, and couldn't make a dent in world class competition. .....

Which makes Marquez's accomplishments all the more spectacular.
I agree with the tankster about Ben becoming a sad story, but Mr.Ferret, you forget his run in WSBK. Then GP changed the rules so he couldn't be on a factory ride right away (reversed for marq) then he was a test rider for yore-ghey. He was dealt a crap hand, and hasn't helped himself at all. BUT to say he couldn't make a dent I feel is incorrect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mojTX; 10-27-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-27-2013
caelitus mihi vires

RSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond reputeRSVridr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojTX View Post
I agree with the tankster about Ben becoming a sad story, but Mr.Ferret, you forget his run in WSBK. Then GP changed the rules so he couldn't be on a factory ride right away (reversed for marq) then he was a test rider for yore-ghey. He was dealt a crap hand, and hasn't helped himself at all. BUT to say he couldn't make a dent I feel is incorrect.
I agree 100%.
If the 'Spies rule' was never made up by the powers to be (read Mother Honda) and Ben was able to ride a factory Yamaha his rookie year, I think things would have been different for him.

sent from a treestand on the back forty

Old 10-27-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

The run of "bad luck" he had with factory Yamaha was unbelievable.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but on this one I have to wonder if there was something more going on behind the scenes.

Mother Honda sure was afraid of Ben. They thought he was a pretty major threat.

Old 10-27-2013
motorcycle nut

Lol homers always crack me up, if your boy ( either one Hayden or Spies in this case) doesn't do any good it's because someone paid them millions of dollars to ride their multi-million dollar equipment.... and then sabotaged them, knowing full well that their first choice rider was never going to crash and get hurt, so their second choice rider never be needed to carry the flag. Really?

I believe when they sign someone to a multi year contract, it's usually because they think the person is the best available rider and may actually represent the brand well. But what do I know?

Moj I didn't forget about Spies in WSBK, but let me quote Mr Ben Spies after he made the move to MotoGP " finishing tenth in MotoGP is better than winning in WSBK " . WSBK is where guys get basic training for MotoGP, and is where guys that can't cut it in MotoGP, who still want to race, go back to. Heck guys like Hayden and Collins would rather ride satellite bikes in MotoGP than go back to WSBK, and Spies would rather quit altogether than go back.

Honda has had the best machinery and the best riders. I doubt seriously they were concerned about Ben Spies even when he moved up to the factory Yamaha....and I laugh at the thought that Ben Spies was a test rider for Jorge.. Yamaha has factory test riders to test new parts. They wouldn't have paid what they paid for Ben for a " test rider". Spies had bad luck with his bike, but Yamaha didn't make a decision in the board room to sabotage him.

Fact of the matter is America's Road Race program stinks, or else America's Road Racers just aren't that good as compared to Spain and Italy....and maybe even Britain at this point. Do I wish it were different? hell yea! I wish we had another KR or Freddie Spencer, or Wayne Rainey or Eddie Lawson, kicking ass and taking names every race, but we don't, and I don't know of any names in the wings that give us hope. For American Road Race Fans ( like myself) it's looking very sad for a very long time. Wish it wasn't so.
Old 10-27-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
Honda has had the most money. Honda was so seriously concerned about Ben Spies they changed the rules to keep him off the factory Yamaha....
Fixed if for you.

And then when Hondas glory boy came along, they got the rule changed as well.

I'm not saying who might have sabotaged Ben at factory Yamaha, I'm just saying too much happened to blame bad luck. Maybe Lorenzo was behind it.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...D-ROTTEN-LUCK/

Old 10-27-2013
motorcycle nut

So it was Lorenzo that poisoned Spies at Mugello. Wow... I had no idea.

On whose insider info are you basing the statement that Honda was afraid of Spies? Why would they? He was good, but he wasn't the second coming of Rossi.

You'd think yamaha would have just not hired him, rather than hire him and sabotage him

Guess Rossi is a test rider for Jorge as well since Jorge is in the title chase and Rossi isn't?

Think about this...Spies went to Ducati rather than go back to WSBK. How desperate is that to stay in MotoGP.

Not saying what Honda/Dorna did for Marquez was right, quite the contrary, I think Marquez should have ridden a satellite bike his first year, lime Spies was forced to do, but if he had, he'd have no doubt killed somebody by now.

Got to. Go..race is on
Old 10-27-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

I did not say Lorenzo poisoned Spies, I just consider him, as they say, a person of interest.

Simple logic tells me Honda feared Spies. Honda pushed for the rule preventing Spies from going to a factory ride to prevent him from getting a factory ride. What other motivation did Honda have for pushing for that rule? And why did they decide the rule was not a good idea when their guy came along?

You are right, it makes no sense for Yamaha to sabotage Spies. Maybe it was Rossi. Rossi needed a ride. I would consider him a person of interest also.

Any yes, Rossi is kind of the test rider. Yamaha made it clear from the beginning that Lorenzo was the lead rider and development would go the direction he wanted it to go.

Everyone who went to Ducati went there for one reason: money. Maybe not Rossi. He thought he could win a title with three different manufacturers and win with a Italian brand. Maybe he could have in his younger years, but things did not work out like he had hoped at all.

That garage full of Honda products is clouding your mind. Honda makes some fine products, but they are a evil corporation. They have implanted their mind control on you and you are really quite helpless and unable to see their evil.

Step away from the light. Come with us. You will be fine without Mother Honda.