Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Rides and Events

Notices

Rides and Events Post upcoming rides or events that would be of interest to the group

Old 08-08-2017
Red Sled Rider

Nighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond reputeNighthawk has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's on the bucket list for some reason

Go, See, Do Sturgis.
Only looking for information right now. I put the bug in my brothers ear yesterday.

If you have been there and have information about what you would do and what you wouldn't do. Not looking to stay in the middle of the mayhem, don't mind staying in another town near buy. I have camper and will bring. 3-4- days is all I'm looking to spend there.

I also need to mark ND and SD on my map as having rode a bike there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2017
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

I just watched a TV show about the Sturgis bike rally and there is NO WAY I'm going within 200 miles of that place while the rally is going on. We rode past there years ago (with no intention of stopping in) when it was shutting down and it was a zoo.

Feel the same way about Daytona Bike week.

Too many people, too many knuckleheads, too many "Sons of Anarchy" wannabees. The noise from the life saving pipes alone would ruin the experience for me.

There are some great roads to ride in South Dakota and North Dakota as well. Visit the Badlands Natl Park, maybe Spearfish Canyon, visit Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse, etc but go when fewer people are there, restaurants aren't jammed and noisy, and rooms are available and reasonable. Unless you just prefer chaos.

That's my opinion
Old 08-08-2017

Jim has disabled reputation

I went in 2011 and had a great time. Rode out with 3 of my brothers friends from NJ and met up with another guy from Kansas. Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express within walking distance of the main drag or take the hotel shuttle. Rode through the Badlands on the way there, stopped at Wall Drug. Rode somewhere different everyday, awesome experience you should at least do once in your lifetime. It wouldn't take much for me to do it again, maybe in 3 years for the 80th anniversary. The guys I went with go every year and have been for many years. They have been renting a house since 2012, much cheaper than the hotel.
'14 BMW R1200RT
'12 Triumph Tiger 800
IBA #30023
Old 08-08-2017
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

I am also not really a fan of big crowds, but given the right circumstances I would like to go to Sturgis someday.

The right circumstances for me is basically I have time and money to burn. Sturgis ranks pretty far down on the list of things I would like to do, so I would have to be in a situation where I did not have limited time each year to do the things I enjoy.

I am just a curious person. I just like to see different things, talk to different people. There are a lot of places I would like to go that most people would find unusual, and many of the places many people love to go I have no interest in. I would love to go to Mexico, but not to one of those fancy resorts. I would like to see REAL Mexico. I am sure the resorts are nice and I would have a nice time, but to me that is not going to Mexico, that is going to a resort.

Anyway, this winter I am going to do something I pretty much always said I have no interest in. Can't give any info because this is a secret until Christmas. Hard to know if you like something if you have never tried it, so if you have the time and money to spare you might as well try it. You only live once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-08-2017
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

We were out there last summer, but not during the Rally.

If you're looking for info on non-rally places to go and things to see, Harley Guy and I have info.

We stayed in Deadwood and did day trips from there for 5 days or so. Spearfish Canyon, Badlands, Custer State Park Loop, Iron Mountain Road, Needles Highway, Devil's Tower In WY, Mt Rushmore, and Crazy Horse monument.

There are lots of good roads to ride there. 385 runs north and south through the Black Hills. 16, 89, 44, 87 were all good. Nemo Road was a nice canyon road with lots of fast sweepers.

Towns to see: Deadwood, Stugis, Lead, Custer, Hill City.

The roads are not super technical but the scenery is great and the roads are fun.

I wouldn't go during the rally. Period. Not my cup of tea.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 08-08-2017
This space for Rent

Warlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond repute

And don't miss Mitchell SD and the Corn Palace. And if you are in Nebraska you can see the original Cabela's in Sidney on I-80.

Bill

My SPOT, his name is Fido:

Old 08-08-2017
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

We skipped the corn palace but made it to Wall Drug as we came out of the Badlands.

We also dropped down into Nebraska and went to Scottsbluff and Chimney Rock. Carhenge (google it) was odd but interesting.

I wouldn't go there just for the Nebraska stuff, but since we were already in the area......

Old 08-08-2017
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

I like to be able to say I have been places and seen things. I think that is the whole point of living.

Old 08-08-2017
It's always time to ride

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sYKeDJSbq9g

Old 08-08-2017
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
I like to be able to say I have been places and seen things. I think that is the whole point of living.

Yep