Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Rides and Events

Notices

Rides and Events Post upcoming rides or events that would be of interest to the group

Old 08-15-2017
Mid Life Crisis Man

Danimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
As much as I would like to go to "real" Mexico I am probably too afraid to go to the "real" places. Most of them are "real" dangerous.
You can live vicariously through me then Don, as my big trip is now a full GO as HR at work has been told. Passport's ready...and am prepping a DR650 for the trip

And to the others here who know me, I'll be gone from NE Ohio a full year nominal. Riding from here across the US on the TAT, and then dropping into Baja Mexico, riding through the most remote Mexico I can find, through Central America to Panama
From Panama will be on a boat with the bike to Columbia. From there a quick jaunt down the West coast of South America, all the way to Tierra del Fuego.
Then return up the East coast towards Brazil.
Will skip the turmoil in the NE corner of SA , heading West back into Columbia and then home.
Depending on how my $$ holds out, I have a plan "B"
That would be to sell the bike in Argentina, fly myself and my gear to India, buy a new Royal Enfield Himalaya and then ride India/Mongolia/Khazak and Russia, then return home.
Anyways, thought this was a good place to put this on RO and say goodbye for a while (even though I don't post here much for emotional reasons...sorry)
This is something I've waited a long time for, and have been planning for even longer

I will have a semi-live Blog, and will be sure to post the link here before I depart
Like Mark would have said, "Don, don't be skeered"

Last edited by Danimal; 08-15-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2017
This space for Rent

Warlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond reputeWarlock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
You can live vicariously through me then Don, as my big trip is now a full GO as HR at work has been told. Passport's ready...and am prepping a DR650 for the trip

And to the others here who know me, I'll be gone from NE Ohio a full year nominal. Riding from here across the US on the TAT, and then dropping into Baja Mexico, riding through the most remote Mexico I can find, through Central America to Panama
From Panama will be on a boat with the bike to Columbia. From there a quick jaunt down the West coast of South America, all the way to Tierra del Fuego.
Then return up the East coast towards Brazil.
Will skip the turmoil in the NE corner of SA , heading West back into Columbia and then home.
Depending on how my $$ holds out, I have a plan "B"
That would be to sell the bike in Argentina, fly myself and my gear to India, buy a new Royal Enfield Himalaya and then ride India/Mongolia/Khazak and Russia, then return home.
Anyways, thought this was a good place to put this on RO and say goodbye for a while (even though I don't post here much for emotional reasons...sorry)
This is something I've waited a long time for, and have been planning for even longer

I will have a semi-live Blog, and will be sure to post the link here before I depart
Like Mark would have said, "Don, don't be skeered"
This is so awesome Dan. I wish you Godspeed and will keep you in my prayers. Please give us the link for your blog so we can follow along. Taking a SPOT by any chance?

Bill

My SPOT, his name is Fido:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2017
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

Have fun!

It is very doable, many many people do it all the time. You just have to make a plan and keep informed - and have the money. Money is where people usually come up short. Almost everybody underestimates how much it will cost.

Old 08-15-2017
Mid Life Crisis Man

Danimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to allDanimal is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
This is so awesome Dan. I wish you Godspeed and will keep you in my prayers. Please give us the link for your blog so we can follow along. Taking a SPOT by any chance?
Yes, I have a Spot. It's always on when riding if you care to see where I am
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...XVtInJtmCkTqqt

I may also have my own Website as well. Plan was to have the main Blog on ADV, but in the end it doesn't really matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Have fun!

It is very doable, many many people do it all the time. You just have to make a plan and keep informed - and have the money. Money is where people usually come up short. Almost everybody underestimates how much it will cost.
Tank, am blowing the wad to do this, cashing in what little I have in my 10yr old 401K (lost everything a decade ago in a divorce/custody battle, and am just NOW approaching zero debt)
Have researched the $$ a lot
(am talking travelling Latin America, Mexico, Cetral and South America mainly)
You can live WELL for $12,000-$15,000 per year
That includes staying at whatever hostel, apt, motels you like, eating whatever you want and fuel/repairs/tires for your bike
You CAN live OK for $6-8K/yr if you pull the Hippy Lifestyle (which I will be attempting at times) and stay wherever you can for free, etc.
I have a gig in Guatemala building a church if I like, that will be room/board for 3 months tops, with a 4 day work week (plenty of free time to ride around the mountains)
Stuff like that is not uncommon.
So, based upon let's say $18K/yr to be safe, I'll have enough to stay on the road 4-5 years.
I have told my Son and Father though that I'll only be gone one year.
So they don't worry lol
Old 08-15-2017
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Danimal.. Sounds frightening and exciting. Bid you safe travels, and exciting adventures. Wish I were brave enough to attempt something like that, but alas I'm not. Traveling around the US where we all speak a similar language, share a common currency and eat similar foods, is about as brave as I get.
Old 08-15-2017
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

Be safe Dan. Enjoy the journey. Hope you find what you're looking for....

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 08-15-2017
TIME TO RIDE - RIDE ON!!!

HG has disabled reputation

I hope you have a GREAT trip Dan.

Be safe - - and - - RIDE ON........

Hopefully, those miles put a smile on your face! It always does for me!
Old 08-15-2017

Ohiodeere is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a great plan Dan..
Some helpful info you may have not considered. Your health?
As with most of those places the water, air, food, atmosphere, surroundings and bugs are a lot different than what your body is accustomed to here in the states. Take some over the counter medications with you. you can guarantee your going to get sick. Its just a matter of how bad it will be. Trust me! Medical treatment facility's are few and not as modern day as here. Mexico won't be too bad, however south america is worse. If you get into toruble head for the touristy towns especially along the coast where popular cruise ships sail to. These will be much help than outback towns. Good survival skills are a must also for what your going to do. Buy "survival tools" once you get down there. You'll figure it out.
Another thing- don't forget the currency exchange rate for the particular country your in. You'll need to know this to measure your purchases. They will rip off a tourist in a heart beat if you don't know exactly how much your paying with their money.
one more thing- keep low about mentioning where your from!
Old 08-16-2017

PAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond reputePAPAWOF2 has a reputation beyond repute

Gods speed Dan.

Old 08-16-2017
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
Traveling around the US where we all speak a similar language, share a common currency and eat similar foods, is about as brave as I get.
Nothing wrong with that! Plenty to see right in the good old USA.

We only live once Dan. There are always naysayers, but in the end everybody has to find their own way through life. What is good for the Goose is not necessarily good for the Gander.