Go Back   Ride Ohio > Reasons to Ride > Out of State

Notices

Out of State Things to do, places to eat, and roads to ride in places outside of Ohio.

Old 03-14-2013

netfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nice
Default June 2-9 plans... thoughts?

I love trip planning - especially when it's cold and snowy

June trip looks like this, day by day (from Ashland County)...

MAIN ROUTE * OVERNIGHT

1. 250 - 50 * Mt. Storm, WVA
2. Skyline Drive * Loft Mountain campground on Skyline
3. BRP * Rocky Knob Cabins/campground, NC
4. NC 421, Rt 16 NC and VA * Hungry Mother State Park, VA
5. Rt 16 VA and WVA * New River Gorge area
6. New River (rafting!) * New River Gorge area
7. Rt. 16 WVA * Marietta, OH

If anyone has must sees or suggestions near those routes or places, let me know... our daily average is such that we should have some time to play, detour, explore, etc....

Thanks! And, if anyone is going to be around those areas June 2-9, please PM me... it would be fun to put a few faces with names

Last edited by netfan; 03-14-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2013
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.visittazewellcounty.org/burkes.html

Burkes Garden. Fun road getting there and back from Tazwell

http://www.hawksnestsp.com/

Hawks Nest in WV

I think the Mystery Hole in on the road heading up there also.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/10971

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 03-14-2013

netfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nice

Thanks!!

that's exactly the kind of thing that makes life interesting

Got any killer places to eat around there?
Old 03-14-2013
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

There is a place on Rt 60 near the water falls in Glen Ferris, WV that was pretty good, called the Glen Ferris Inn. We stopped there in Aug 2011 with Mr and Mrs. Sparky. Not sure if it's still open.

That was the only place I remember eating that day (well, at least after breakfast at the Courtyard Inn in Beckley that morning)..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 03-15-2013

Thanks...

I have found (after doing this for 3 years) that it is best to find places ahead of time, both where you EXPECT to be and where you MIGHT end up

for example, I've started to find campgrounds AND hotels for each expected destination / end of the day area so that we can have either at our disposal in whatever weather or mood strikes us.

I find it makes the trip more enjoyable to know something about the areas you are going through. Research on food is especially important as we have a rule that any chain is automatically off limits during the annual trip. Kind of fun to find local places, even when some aren't all that great.
Old 03-15-2013
Bad lines, slow as hell

Tank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond reputeTank has a reputation beyond repute

I do it both ways. Sometimes I plan my trips to every tiny detail, and other times I just head out.

For the most part you get more good stuff when you plan carefully, the only problem is you pretty much know what to expect and there are no surprises.

If you just head out there is a far greater chance that you will have boring days, but there is also a chance you might find something unexpected that makes the entire trip worthwhile.