Go Back   Ride Ohio > Main Forums > Gear

Notices

Gear Talk about helmets, tires, clothing, camping equipment, GPS - all that extra stuff we need!

Old 04-18-2013

netfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nice
Default Helmets...

Has anyone purchased helmets lately? I am due for a new one - currently wearing a basic solid full face one piece HJC - and would like to find one that is more quiet and comfortable, without spending 300 bucks, if that is indeed possible... haven't looked for awhile so I thought I'd start here.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

I bought an HJC AC-11 on close out last year for $49 (regularly $249). Liked it so much, I bought another one in a different color pattern, also for $49 on close out.

J&J Sales (Powersports 360) on Sprowl Road in Huron has AC-11's in size Large and XL, but only in the "Livewire" pattern for $49. They also have locations in Port Clinton and Mansfield, but the helmets may only be in Huron.

http://www.powersports360.com/eshopp..._Helmet_XL.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter where life's journey takes you.... there you are.
Not all who wander are lost.....
Old 04-18-2013
I WANT MORE PIE!

sirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond reputesirepair has a reputation beyond repute

LOTS of helmets available out there, getting one that fits well is the priority. If the HJC fit you well, you may want to look at another.

Also, check WEBBIKEWORLDs Helmet Reviews. They discuss shape/weight/noise/etc.

I made the "mistake" of putting a new Shoei Neotech on my head...I'm jonesin' for a new $600 helmet now!
Old 04-18-2013

netfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nicenetfan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirepair View Post
I made the "mistake" of putting a new Shoei Neotech on my head...I'm jonesin' for a new $600 helmet now!
I'm with you... I'm afraid to try a really good one. I think part of my neck issues are due to the weight of the helmet, so I'm hoping a more light weight version will be a positive change. Worth the money if that is the case.
Old 04-18-2013

TimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud ofTimmyG has much to be proud of
Default Re: Helmets...

I suggest going to iron pony and trying some on. They have the most brands under one roof I have ever seen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
13 HD Roadglide custom
Old 04-18-2013
It's always time to ride

wahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond reputewahoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
I suggest going to iron pony and trying some on. They have the most brands under one roof I have ever seen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
+ 1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-18-2013
Fat,Dumb,and Happy

Memnoch has a reputation beyond reputeMemnoch has a reputation beyond reputeMemnoch has a reputation beyond reputeMemnoch has a reputation beyond reputeMemnoch has a reputation beyond reputeMemnoch has a reputation beyond reputeMemnoch has a reputation beyond reputeMemnoch has a reputation beyond reputeMemnoch has a reputation beyond reputeMemnoch has a reputation beyond reputeMemnoch has a reputation beyond repute

Been using my Scorpion Eco-900 Transformer (3/4 and full face in one) fairly light weight and great ventilation. Although a bit more than you're probably wanting to spend $279 from MotorcycleSuperstore.com
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25
Old 04-18-2013
It's always time to ride

If you buy anything from Motorcycle superstore, go to the affilliates link on the RO board and click into MC Superstore from there. When you place an order, RO gets a small rebate or commission for the "referral"

Helps the Boss Man pay the bills here.

(There are also a few other affilliate links besides MC Superstore. All work the same way)

Old 04-18-2013
motorcycle nut

the ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond reputethe ferret has a reputation beyond repute

I really like my HJC -33 3/4 w/ flip shield for riding the ST especially in the summer. It gives you a bunch of options ... windshield up faceshield up, windshield up faceshield down, windshield down faceshield down, you just have to tune out the safety nazis who want everyone to wear a solid full face ( even modulars are apparently dangerous but I have one of those too..I also have an open face no shield ... Hey they all have to be better than a doo rag )

The Bell 9 is a similar helmet

Last edited by the ferret; 04-18-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2013

Ohiodeere is on a distinguished road

When I look for a helmet, I break it down to essentials needed.
for a full face - has to have good adjustable venting. Needs to have a sliding tinted visor, top priority so i don't have to worry about sun glasses. needs to have seprate hinged clear visor if its modular type. needs to have very clear plastic, resistant to scratching. (if it doesn't say that on the box, move on). has to have some pointed aerodynamics on the face.. rounded helmets are heavy in the wind..
that eliminates 90% of the helmets, now lets look at what you got...

I picked up a Gmax 54S last year.. just south of $250. I installed a scala G9 in it and its wonderful. it is as good as my $500 helmets..