Go Back   Ride Ohio > Reasons to Ride > Southwest Ohio

Notices

Southwest Ohio Things to do, places to eat, and roads to ride in Southwest Ohio.

Old 09-18-2013
Retired and Riding

Road Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond repute
Default SW Ohio into SE Indiana from Miamitown, OH

Nearly every Tuesday I lead a group ride in SW Ohio and it can generally cross the borders into Kentucky and Indiana. We start out in Miamitown 7 miles east of the Ohio State line on Interstate 74. Normally, it is KSU at 9:30 after having coffee at Wendy's there near the Exit 7 on SR 128.

There are usually lots of bikes and several leaders going in different directions. There is one route I love to take from Wendy's north on SR 128 and taking Mt Hope Road just a few miles north of the traffic light in Miamitown. Mt Hope makes a left turn and up the hill on the short twisty road to the stop sign at the top of the hill. Then straight ahead on Strimple Road is like a roller coaster with twists and turns through the edge of Miami Whitewater Park and that is the exercise to get everyone's riding tuned up.

From there we generally make a right turn and after passing a little bar called Dew Drop Inn - we make a right turn to West Road and follow it to a stop sign at Dry Fork - thru the sign and passing Harrison High School right on up to Carolina Trace where we make a right turn and follow this to a "Y" intersection where we make a right turn and leave Carolina Trace onto New Biddinger Road - soon crossing into Butler County the road name changes to California.

Left on Ohio Route 126 and soon you are in Indiana on Rt 252. A left turn on Johnson Fork in downtown Mt. Carmel will put you going south - 2 and 3/4 miles from the 252 intersection with Johnson Fork will put you to a right hand turn on Mueller road. follow this for 1 and 3/4 mile and make a right on English Hill - this is several section line roads running straight as section line roads do. It comes to the decent - going downgrade overlooking the Whitewater River Valley and the little town of Cedar Grove, Indiana and US 52.

FYI - For Ferret and other cheeseburger lovers there is a little bar/grille/bowling alley called Cedar Grove Tavern one block south of Route 52. I had Rick (RedTrk) there a few years ago. The place was recently sold and I hope the burgers are as good as they used to be.

From Cedar Grove following US 52 west take a left turn at Indiana RT #1 - cross the Whitewater River and take the first left and then an immediate right which will put you on a spooky little road called Gobbler's Knob. Stay on Gobbler's Knob until you come to a stop sign at St Peters Road and go straight and the name changes to Chappelow Ridge - eventually you will make a right hand turn to Chappelow Hill. If you don't make that right hand turn you will be riding down a dead end road. So, if you do turn around and come back out and pick up the road you missed. Follow it down to Bischoff Hill Road and make a left - then the next turn will be to IN 46 - right turn and then a left turn back on IN #1. Shell Gas station there will be a good stop to P.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired and Riding for over 17 years on a small fixed income!

Honda said ride RED so I am...

Old 09-18-2013
Warning shots waste ammo!

Redtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe this is the route that you took me on. I loved it and have ridden it a few times since. I need a Tuesday off.
It's 5:00 somewhere!
Old 09-18-2013

Chaps has a reputation beyond reputeChaps has a reputation beyond reputeChaps has a reputation beyond reputeChaps has a reputation beyond reputeChaps has a reputation beyond reputeChaps has a reputation beyond reputeChaps has a reputation beyond reputeChaps has a reputation beyond reputeChaps has a reputation beyond reputeChaps has a reputation beyond reputeChaps has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great ride ... Did you take any photos???

May all your rides be filled with warm memories and good times.

Life's a Trip ... Enjoy the RIDE,
Chaps Nicole
Old 09-19-2013

Ken45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to beholdKen45 is a splendid one to behold

Oh gosh RR, you bring back memories. Back 45 years ago when the ex and I were dating, we spent every Sunday exploring all the back roads in SW Ohio and SE Indiana. I think we drove every road out that way, including the gravel ones. I recognize most of the road names you mentioned.

Back then we both lived in western Hamilton County. Oh, gas was 32 cents a gallon back then too!

Ken
Old 09-19-2013
Retired and Riding

Road Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRoad Runner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtrk View Post
I believe this is the route that you took me on. I loved it and have ridden it a few times since. I need a Tuesday off.
Rick - yes but what I wrote was only half of the ride... I remember taking a photo of you and your bike at Cedar Grove Tavern. I have it somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRider View Post
Sounds like a great ride ... Did you take any photos???
Nicole - I ride this and other similar routes quite often and have hundreds of photos in folders in my Photobucket account!I need to organize the photos somewhat better...

Saddlebutt and her husband Ernie came down a couple weeks ago and did part of it with me -
It was a great day - I think we had 14 bikes with me that day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken45 View Post
Oh gosh RR, you bring back memories. Back 45 years ago when the ex and I were dating, we spent every Sunday exploring all the back roads in SW Ohio and SE Indiana. I think we drove every road out that way, including the gravel ones. I recognize most of the road names you mentioned.

Back then we both lived in western Hamilton County. Oh, gas was 32 cents a gallon back then too!

Ken

Ken - 32 cents per gallon...??? You must be nearly as old as I am. In the mid 50's I used to go to Indiana on US 50 in Lawrenceburg when they had gas wars and get gas for 15 cents per gallon.

I think western Hamilton County is a nice launching spot to get to SE Indiana and N KY! We often travel down KY 227 from Owenton down through Stamping Ground and over to Lexington and Paris passing the horse farms and the nice Kentucky back roads. Then heading back north having a beautiful day to ride. Some people are not retired - but I am glad I am still able to ride.

One of my riders is 85 and he rides all the time. He has 10
+ years on me but he doesn't have the health problems that I do either!

I do love the Indiana twisty roads closer to Ohio where we can do the twisties grab a bite to eat - more twisties and head home before it gets too hot in the afternoon.

Old 10-21-2013
Retired and Riding

Default Fall Color - Hay along the route

Funny hay roll along the fall color route... energetic farmer!

Friends following!

Old 10-21-2013

Saddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud ofSaddlebutt has much to be proud of

Love your pictures...Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-02-2013
Retired and Riding

Default Rick - Redtrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
Rick - yes but what I wrote was only half of the ride... I remember taking a photo of you and your bike at Cedar Grove Tavern. I have it somewhere!

Finally found it!

Saddlebutt and her husband Ernie came down a couple weeks ago and did part of it with me -
It was a great day - I think we had 14 bikes with me that day!

Old 12-02-2013
Warning shots waste ammo!

Redtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond reputeRedtrk has a reputation beyond repute

It's 5:00 somewhere!
Old 12-03-2013

thecruiser is on a distinguished road

Jim,
WHAT? No pics of the burgers at Cedar Grove?
Guess I'll have to go and see for myself.
thecruiser